hydraulic accumulator filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timbo917

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I have a question.
I have been reading the posts on filtration.
I have a small machine shop at home and I would like to convert a hydraulic
accumulator to make a filter.
The problem is I can't seem to find one. Would someone be able to tell me where
I can get one I could use fore a reasonable price?

sorry for the english but I live in Belgium and normaly speak flemisch.

Where hydraulic is used there are broken accumulators. We replaced one on a CNC lathe (which has hydraulic) a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I put it in the junk :-(
Asking around....Maybe ebay. Just take care it can handle the pressure. A whole accumulator that explode is no fun.

A British company sells a personal filter about the size of the MCH-6 filter at a bit over 100 UK Pound. That might be an alternative. Just bought one myself and it looks good. (If you need the company name, let me know and I dig it out).

I just ordered some used filters. When they arrive I will give you a price. Shipping may be costly.
If you are interested please contact me at young581274@bellsouth.net
All the best
Thomas

If you are talking about the Coltri 'Personal filters:" they are available in the USA from Coltri and Nuviar, There is one realty good one made in Europe, (Likely the one you are talking about) the coltri is a seriously deficient in not having any pressure maintaining valve nor check valve that I am aware of, it is also tiny, designed for a little bitty compressor and it still needs to be changed about every 10 hours. It is not intended as a primary filter, but a tale along to places where your fills are questionable. It is not and never will be suited for a compressor of any size beyond an mch-6. Short towers good to about 10 CFM are about $500. Man up and spend the money on a real filter, forget the little baby things.
I have in the past used hydraulic accumulators, if you go that route, get new ones. Hydraulic oil spraying all over the place is one thing, fill it with 200 bar of air and you have a bomb on your hands.
The job is covered very nicely here.
Nitrox Compressor

If you are talking about the Coltri 'Personal filters:" they are available in the USA from Coltri and Nuviar, There is one realty good one made in Europe, (Likely the one you are talking about) the coltri is a seriously deficient in not having any pressure maintaining valve nor check valve that I am aware of, it is also tiny, designed for a little bitty compressor and it still needs to be changed about every 10 hours. It is not intended as a primary filter, but a tale along to places where your fills are questionable. It is not and never will be suited for a compressor of any size beyond an mch-6. Short towers good to about 10 CFM are about $500. Man up and spend the money on a real filter, forget the little baby things.
I have in the past used hydraulic accumulators, if you go that route, get new ones. Hydraulic oil spraying all over the place is one thing, fill it with 200 bar of air and you have a bomb on your hands.
The job is covered very nicely here.
Nitrox Compressor

yes I agree!
Biggest problem is not having any pressure maintaining valve....Bought one. They aren't expensive. MCH-6 uses what other company sells as personal filter. It is just too small (as you say). But having two of it will do the job in a MCH-6. Buying a 500 USD tower for a 2500 USD compressor is just not reasonable.
To change the filters more often is no problem, we just start to produce filters in our company so I have them on hand. I fill with 300 bar, which makes an old accumulator even more scary.

My feeling, even if you are gonna put that little toy on an MCH-6, it simply will not have enough dwell time to do a proper job, and you gotta watch them like a hawk. Be sure to make proper corrections according to seperator inlet temperature...no room for error...pump some bad gas, and that $500 is very cheap insurance. At 30*C the 25g of M.S. in the MCH=6 filter is exhausted after 2.5 hours....that's what, like 5 fills on an mch=6 ?
Lots of fiddling around with filters that are way undersized. Once that M.S. is saturated the A.C, is gonna start releasing all the nasty hydrocarbons it was able to catch. I hope you are only pumping your own air if that is as far as you are going. For $2500 I would have brought a real compressor, like a used Bauer Utilius. Good luck, and please do not fill for others who do not know what you know now.

My feeling, even if you are gonna put that little toy on an MCH-6, it simply will not have enough dwell time to do a proper job, and you gotta watch them like a hawk. Be sure to make proper corrections according to seperator inlet temperature...no room for error...pump some bad gas, and that $500 is very cheap insurance. At 30*C the 25g of M.S. in the MCH=6 filter is exhausted after 2.5 hours....that's what, like 5 fills on an mch=6 ?
Lots of fiddling around with filters that are way undersized. Once that M.S. is saturated the A.C, is gonna start releasing all the nasty hydrocarbons it was able to catch. I hope you are only pumping your own air if that is as far as you are going. For $2500 I would have brought a real compressor, like a used Bauer Utilius. Good luck, and please do not fill for others who do not know what you know now.

Yes I know that problem, but having 2 filters it is the double time (well it is not because we have 35 degree temperature.....) I only dive alone, so I don't have much fills, just my 2 tanks. Oil in the air is nasty....I had it a few times from tanks not filled by myself (Thailand.....).....I consider to build a small cooler before the water separator (which is also undersized and runs very hot on the MCH6...they really saved everywhere....not even a bleeding valve on the hose).
No way of getting a used Bauer for $2500 here in Thailand, more like the double. So it is more the question having a compressor or not having one and as Dive Center usually don't do fillings (and there is no Dive Center near anyway) it is the question of diving (with MCH6) or not not diving.
Refill of the filter doesn't need 5 min and costs virtually nothing.

I guess you gotta make the best of what you got and as long as you are on top on the potential problems you will be fine.
Just FYI, I am on a remote island off the coast of Vietnam...I got a Bauer k-14 here brought on ebay from the USA with shipping and taxes for less then $1,200. A coltri mch-16 for less then $4500. Took a little time, but you can do it. I do know how expensive this stuff is here. Dive safe !

Wow.....Bauer with shipping and taxes for less than 1.200 USD :shocked:
I imported mine from Europe and everyone was whining about the high import taxes. I declared it as compressor and the tanks as storage something for compressed air. Paid 1% + 7% VAT.
Remote island in Vietnam....lol....we are in a similar situation.....Good luck over there....

Just a little info for reference ... on an MCH6, we put a priority valve and get about 3000-3300 cubic feet of air out of a filter cartridge. I get anywhere from 25-40 fills on a standard 80 depending on the time of year before I have to change the cartridge.

Reactions: h90

Back
Top Bottom