Hurricane Zeta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

did they just start ignoring the alphabet when naming these storms?
Those were all used long ago.

There have been so many storms this year they exhausted the English alphabet and moved in the "back up" Greek alphabet.
Only 3 names left for 2020 hurricanes" Eta, Theta, and Iota

Those were all used long ago.

Only 3 names left for 2020 hurricanes" Eta, Theta, and Iota

Don’t worry. If need be, the Weather Channel will provide more names. LOL.

Don’t worry. If need be, the Weather Channel will provide more names. LOL.

Soon they will be naming individual rain drops....

Here is an article from yesterday's Yucatan times (a fish wrapper)
Hurricane “Zeta” degrades again to a tropical storm after its passage through the Yucatan Peninsula.
What I did not like reading was the last paragraph:

"The hurricane season continues, and the models indicate that next week a cyclone will form between the 4th and 5th of November, in the same zone, and it would be more powerful than “Zeta,” but its trajectory is not yet defined."

Hopefully if 'Eta' forms it will go elsewhere.

View attachment 620751

Rumors of another storm definitely floating around the marina (friend called me to ask what was up) , but there is nothing on the 5 day NHC tropical forecast map. Article did talk about next week, which would put it past 5 days so that does make some sense. GFS model seems to shows a weak tropical system going into Nicaragua about 7 days from now. That may be what Mexican news was picking up. Looked like just a depression/wave. Didn’t see anything on the European model (which is better than GFS for most things). Obviously if GFS system went north instead of west it could be a problem for Cozumel late next week with 48 more hours over warm water , but that is a double hypothetical (hypothetical course change on hypothetical storm ).

Water in Caribbean still warm for this time of year and warm in general. I was hoping these storms would have cooled it some, but if they did it was a trivial amount. I gather the strong La Niña phase we are in means higher hurricane risk due to less wind shear over Caribbean.

While NHC long term (72 hour plus ) track forecasting hasn’t been that great this year when Cozumel was involved , they were certainly right when the upped hurricane frequency forecast for the season back in August due to expected La Niña

[La Nina develops during peak hurricane season | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration]

Bottom line , I don’t really see a real storm on the various forecasts/models at this time. There is a possible system on one model , but as of now it is not forecast to hit Cozumel (or be much of a storm ). But then Delta and Zeta weren’t supposed to hit Cozumel if you looked at models 4 days out or more, so we still have to wait and see if things go from bad to worse like everything else in 2020.

I am still in states but hopefully will return to Coz soon. Not much damage in my condo but we building did have odd water issues (think wind forced water through holes in walls used for electrical etc).

Source for images below

[Tropical Tidbits]

upload_2020-10-28_12-4-44.png

Waters still warm unfortunately
upload_2020-10-28_12-11-49.png

Slightly warmer than normal for this time of year

upload_2020-10-28_12-13-26.png

Water around Cozumel hasn’t really cooled relative to normal in past 7 days

upload_2020-10-28_12-15-47.png

Fast-forward a few days, and a long way north, Zeta will pass right over New Orleans around sunset tonight.
We have been spared four hurricanes that were headed at us a few days out, but curved away.

But not five. Our number’s up at last.

Fast-forward a few days, and a long way north, Zeta will pass right over New Orleans around sunset tonight.
We have been spared four hurricanes that were headed at us a few days out, but curved away.

But not five. Our number’s up at last.
Louisiana, where my peeps are, has had seven hits and sideswipes this year; more than I can ever remember in a single season. My hometown, Lake Charles, got two direct hits.

We still have many Lake Charles refugees in our otherwise empty hotels.
Unfair double-hit for them, for sure.
Make that triple-hit, actually..

We still have many Lake Charles refugees in our otherwise empty hotels.
Unfair double-hit for them, for sure.
Make that triple-hit, actually..
Laura was the worst storm to hit LC since Audrey in 1957. Worse that that one, even.

Zeta seems to be landing as a Cat-2, TS warnings are far as Virginia, and NOAA's chief scientist was fired. Keep those paper towels stocked.

I'm staying up late on December 31, not to welcome 2021 as I don't trust new years until I get to know them now. I just want to be sure that 2020 leaves.

You got evacuated from the island to the mainland? It looks like Playacar got hit harder than San Miguel.

Now Los Tacotales. With no walls, that roof was an open target, but I'll bet they get a new one up quickly as there wasn't much to the old one.

DandyDon, OT, but I recently purchased a Palm CO detector based on the arguments from you and some other participants. Pretty darn expensive, alas.

Back
Top Bottom