Hurricane? Are You Doing Anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Winds calm, still dry at Opua Bed, Dinner and Dive, on the Big Island, about 3 miles
south of Kailua-Kona at 600 feet elevation. Looks wet a bit south of us; I expect
rain and some wind sometime in the next couple of hours. Gorgeous sunset.

I did expect worse weather earlier today. Right now the biggest problem is that
it's dead calm (we rely on breeze to cool our place) and the humidity is on the rise...

I suppose I should go find the cat and bring him in...

So, FBI, in that lovely crescent the volcanoes shelter, Kona.
Sunny AM, All but one bank closed, schools and beach access closed. (There is something new, have to ask a guard – “May I please go to work?”) Lot of grumbling with nary a drop of rain and winds light when I looked around the island mid-afternoon. Schools are closed again tomorrow. Sky is looking like approaching storm but no imminent doom.

It’s funny an Oahu CostCo was swamped, you guys were still days away. Yesterday I debated the gas thing but chose to look around for things to tie down while there was still light. The radio said our CostCo was gridlock last night, so I was quite pleased to pull right up to one of the several open pumps tonight.

Still haven’t seen one iota of hysteria myself anywhere, but looking at all the cool data available online; I still think it’s gonna storm big time sooner or later. Main question is just how big a storm. Any one catch this gorgeous photo? http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Current/TRCflossie225_G11.jpg

Nice sunset. No green flash tho.

redrover:
It’s funny an Oahu CostCo was swamped, you guys were still days away. Yesterday I debated the gas thing but chose to look around for things to tie down while there was still light. The radio said our CostCo was gridlock last night, so I was quite pleased to pull right up to one of the several open pumps tonight.

According to yesterday's forcast, we were supposed to get hit on Wednesday and you folks would've already been hit. This storm has stalled southeast of the Big Island and is weakening and widening. Things change with these events. Best to be prepared.

Costco wasn't swamped. There were less folks there last night than on any given weekend day. However, they were all buying water, batteries and lanterns and then filling up on gas. Remember, there's 900,000 people on this island! I filled up my tank on my Accord today because I was on "E" and the line there was pretty much the same as most days - slightly less than last night. I hate to wait in a line more than 2 deep so I usually wind up being forced when I am on "E".

BTW, I stopped at the Costco gas station two weeks ago on the way to the North Shore with diving friends from Phoenix. Line was only 2 cars deep and my friends asked, "Are they giving gas away for free here?"

And last night, it was raining pretty hard while I was at Costco and the Trades have been heavy. They're shredding the tarp over my boat.:shakehead:

I really pray no one has any real problems with the storm.
Aloha.

Dave

I think folks on the Big Island are now getting more worried about excessive rain and flooding. When storms stall just off the islands, they can cause quite a bit of flooding.

On New Years Eve, 1987, a storm stalled just off the southeastern edge of Honolulu (Hawaii Kai) and created major flooding. Rolled boulders the size of Volkswagons down one street. Lots of folks were partying in town were it wasn't raining all that hard. Didn't find out about it until they tried to go home and find Kalananiole Highway cut off by the flooding!

They had big flooding on the Big Island not all that long ago when a tropical storm stalled in right about the same place that Flossie is now. I think it killed one or two folks and took out some roads.

MeiLing:
Line was only 2 cars deep and my friends asked, "Are they giving gas away for free here?":shakehead:
Now there's a chuckle.

Sure shows to go you the islands are islands and each it’s own…looks like I took ‘lines are huge’ too far. And ok, two days away LOL.

Say, what's with all the Lisas here?

Aloha nui loa,
Lisa

We're probably all from the same era. I think it was the most popular name, or at least in the top three) the year I was born. I remember having something like four or five "Lisa's" in some of my grade school classes.

I dunno. I’m the only one with out any family name and Mom said she took a beating for years for choosing such a weird one. Second choice was Anastasia.:D

Mine isn't a family name either. The folks just liked it. I got the middle name for a family name, Leigh.

Actually, considering some of the family names, I think I got off easy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom