Question Hurghada Marriott vs Soma Bay Sheraton?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are going to tour Egypt/Jordan in Nov/2022, and I can probably get 3-4 days to Hurghada at the end of Nile cruise to Aswan-Luxor, before going to Jordan.

In Hurghada, we can go to Hurghada Marriott or Soma Sheraton. Since my wife is a non-diver (maybe come snorkeling one time), should we stay at Hurghada, or is Soma also fine? Which dive ops are on site, or should I use a nearby dive op?

I would point you to Soma Bay. The dive spots are better, you can dive from shore/jetty but also will have the opportunity for some full or half day trips by boat, and some zodiac rides if you fancy.
The dive ops (ORCA Dive) is at The Breakers but also accommodate for guests from other hotels. It's well organised and the crew is very professional.

I recently stayed in Mariott Hrg, it was ok, do not expect same quality as in western countries though. I also did not dive with the local dive center in Mariott, there are much better dive ops. I think overall Hurghada has a bit better diving than Soma Bay & Safaga. But the problem is, if you want to dive with a good dive centre, you need to count on being picked up via van and spending the whole day on the boat. Your wife will have to either choose to stay at the hotel or come with you whole day onto a dive boat as snorkeler.
I agree with above opinion, Soma bay is better choice for you because nothing beats to stay very close to your dive center and having a house reef nearby to snorkel and being able to do 1/2 day trips.

for what it's worth; I stayed at the Sheraton Miramar El Gouna, excellent, personnel, rooms, dive centre and during discussions Sheraton Soma Bay come up in being even better,
great diving in the bay done on half day boat-tours from Safaga

Thanks for the responses.

At first I thought of Marriott Hurghada because it's in town, close to airport and other activities, shopping and restaurants. Diving is good for me, but I hope my wife can enjoy and not have to stay just at the hotel for 3+ days. The miniegyptpark.com sounds like a fun 1/2 day excursion we can go when not diving.

Sheraton Miramar El Gouna also sounds nice, but is it secluded there?

Soma Bay has better diving but is a lot further away. Would there be very few choices for
shops/restaurants, or activities?

I'm Marriott Platinum and the point redemption rate seems good there. To get dinner or full board the buy rates go up by US$45-75 or higher. Have anyone experience how the food/drinks are if going for dinners for several days, or is it better to eat around town?
I recently stayed in Mariott Hrg, it was ok, do not expect same quality as in western countries though. I also did not dive with the local dive center in Mariott, there are much better dive ops. I think overall Hurghada has a bit better diving than Soma Bay & Safaga. But the problem is, if you want to dive with a good dive centre, you need to count on being picked up via van and spending the whole day on the boat. Your wife will have to either choose to stay at the hotel or come with you whole day onto a dive boat as snorkeler.
I agree with above opinion, Soma bay is better choice for you because nothing beats to stay very close to your dive center and having a house reef nearby to snorkel and being able to do 1/2 day trips.
Which are better dive ops near Marriot HRG?
This doesn't sound too good if diving with other ops would mean whole day boat trip, plus van ride. Are the boats far away, or the dive sites far away by boat?

Diving is a good bonus to have for me on the Egypt/Jordan trip. But if it's too onerous, we don't need to go. Oh, we'd do a Nile cruise, and add Hurghada either before or at the end at Aswan.

Thanks for the responses.

At first I thought of Marriott Hurghada because it's in town, close to airport and other activities, shopping and restaurants. Diving is good for me, but I hope my wife can enjoy and not have to stay just at the hotel for 3+ days. The miniegyptpark.com sounds like a fun 1/2 day excursion we can go when not diving.

Sheraton Miramar El Gouna also sounds nice, but is it secluded there?

Soma Bay has better diving but is a lot further away. Would there be very few choices for
shops/restaurants, or activities?

I'm Marriott Platinum and the point redemption rate seems good there. To get dinner or full board the buy rates go up by US$45-75 or higher. Have anyone experience how the food/drinks are if going for dinners for several days, or is it better to eat around town?

Which are better dive ops near Marriot HRG?
This doesn't sound too good if diving with other ops would mean whole day boat trip, plus van ride. Are the boats far away, or the dive sites far away by boat?

Diving is a good bonus to have for me on the Egypt/Jordan trip. But if it's too onerous, we don't need to go. Oh, we'd do a Nile cruise, and add Hurghada either before or at the end at Aswan.
I am not sure what your expectations are but neither Hurghada nor Soma bay are that suitable to venture outside on your own. It is perfectly safe but surroundings are rather unattractive. Most people do stick with their hotels and eat drink there.
Rates you mention are pretty reasonable, I think I paid 100 € half board for single occupancy. I have dived with James & Mac, very established dive op, I can recommend them heartily. Home - James & Mac Diving Center. 10-15 mins drive only and they have a free pick up service. I also noticed that they offer 1/2 day as well, so, probably they will take you to a nearby reef, it is worth contacting them.

If your expectation is to see Egypt, forget it in Hurghada and even more in Soma bay. It's a part of the country who lives for and by tourism only. You may eventually have a little idea of what Egypt looks like if you go in the old part of Hurghada and also walking by the souk (market)...

These two hotels are more or less similars, Soma bay being far from the city, that's the difference.

For diving, any established dive centre will pick you up, the service will be +/- the same everywhere and all will go to the same diving spots... depending on the level of the divers.

well then, I will propose El Quseir , a real Egyptian town and my favoured dive destination since many years, this is where I learned to dive and where I met the most imaginable Red sea creatures including the dugong,
El Quseir

Thanks. We'll see Cairo, cruise Luxor to Aswan, and see Abu Simbel. So we'll see Egypt.

This side trip at Hurghada is for Red Sea diving. Took a look at James & Mac and they do have 1/2 day trips, so that's good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom