RSA 2 + Nile Cruise in Late June - questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
dberry

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
@Trailboss123 posted a great trip report about his RSA 3 (southern route) trip followed with the Nile Queen cruise. This was very helpful - thanks! We're going on the RSA 2 (northern route) in June/July and hope to combine it with a Nile Cruise. Unfortunately the Nile Queen is not running the week we get back to Hurghada. We've found other possible cruises, but have several questions about logistics.

Hurghada Arrival: we'll arrive on June 24 the evening before the liveaboard sails and taxi to a hotel. The RSA 2 leaves from the "Old Sheraton Marina"; I'm assuming we can just get a local taxi for the (short?) ride to the ship.

Any recommendations for a hotel close to where the RSA2 docks? We probably won't have much time to explore Hurghada.

Cruise: We've located other 5 day / 4 night Nile cruises from Luxor to Aswan, and we can get flights home from Aswan, but need to get from Hurghada to Luxor.

Driving from Hurghada -> Luxor takes ca. 5 hours and we could leave the RSA2 very early on Saturday, June 2, but how to arrange a driver to Luxor? The Nile cruise won't be an Aggressor, so we can't use their services and they apparently overcharge for land transport anyway. The taxi driver will need to find the RSA pier in Hurghada at ca. 5-6am, AND we'll have to figure out where to meet up with the tour once we're in Luxor. Is Whatsapp the preferred means of communication with locals (like it is in Mexico?)

Flying home from Aswan: We'll have the choice of staying overnight in Aswan and taking a 6AM flight, or leaving Aswan at 8:20PM the night before, which would involve getting on a 2:30 AM flight in Cairo, which sounds like a pain. Any idea how early we'd need to get to the Aswan airport for a 6AM flight to Cairo? Any hotel recommendations in Aswan (close to airport?)

The cruise itself... there are several outfits that book 5 day/ 4 night Nile cruises (e.g. MarsaAlam tours, Journey to Egypt) I think they're all just travel agents for the ships. Let me know if you've had any good or bad experiences with any of these.

Yes, we understand it will be incredibly hot (average high ca. 40 C / 104 F), especially visiting the sites along the Nile, but this is the only travel window we'll have for a while. It would be a shame to invest the time and $$ getting from the US to Egypt and not see the sites. We won't feel too bad missing Cairo and Giza, if we can make the most of the lower Nile sites.

Sorry for such a long post with lots of questions... thanks in advance for any advice.
-Don

I can’t answer all your questions, but I will answer the ones I can.

Hurghada isn’t too big, so any of the central hotels will be fine, with a short taxi ride to the Old Sheraton Marina. I think is more of a quay side than an actual marina. I have stayed at the Marriot Beach Resort a few times after liveaboards and that is reasonable place for a night and looks to be very close to where the boat goes from. If you are actually there for the evening the new marina is nice place for a walk around and a meal, so you could look for a hotel near there. All the hotels in Hurghada seem to have a taxi desk in reception who will arrange a taxi for you.

I haven’t used them but a company called Hurghada Drivers get good reviews for taxi services. They would be able to sort out local transfers and the drive to Luxor.

I am sure Whatsapp works in Egypt, although I always seem to use Facebook messenger to contact local companies.

@dberry Have a great trip! I haven't been to Egypt but looking to do a Red Sea dive/Nile trip about this time next year. Would love to hear your thoughts when you return. Some basic questions I have are:
  • Why did you pick Northern route/Hurghada vs Southern routes/Port Ghalib? I'm not challenging, but undecided as well.
  • Your thoughts on the Aggressor 2...they get mixed reviews here.
  • General impressions of the diving
  • Same of the Nile cruise
Thanks!

@dberry Have a great trip! I haven't been to Egypt but looking to do a Red Sea dive/Nile trip about this time next year. Would love to hear your thoughts when you return. Some basic questions I have are:
  • Why did you pick Northern route/Hurghada vs Southern routes/Port Ghalib? I'm not challenging, but undecided as well.
  • Your thoughts on the Aggressor 2...they get mixed reviews here.
  • General impressions of the diving
  • Same of the Nile cruise
Thanks!
@dberry Have you written up a trip report yet? Would really appreciate it. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom