Human rights to dolphins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I eat octopus. Admittedly they're intelligent, but they're low on the food chain, not threatened with extinction, etc.

Yes, Denmark. Japan as well.

It has nothing to do with being "aesthetically appealing", they have been subject of many tests and studies showing they have capabilities that many other animals do not, but they are not the only ones.
And I am not against killing an animal to eat, I am against the way dolphins are killed, the same way I am against the poor conditions in which other animals are kept and why I choose not to buy from such businesses. What I was saying is that some countries have laws regarding the let's call it "humane" killing of animals such as cows and pigs and then throw those rules out the window when it comes to dolphins and that doesn't make sense.

Denmark is a big shame.The sea is stained in red and in the meanwhile it’s not because of the climate effects of nature. It's because of the cruelty that the human beings (civilised human) kill hundreds of the famous and intelligent Calderon dolphins. This happens every year in Feroe Iland in Denmark ."

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thumbs-down/474766-wow-disgusting.html

You need to take this post down then.

Which post should be taken down?

We watched a movie the other day in an environmental science class about how animals are slaughtered. I found it amusing that the number of kids in the class did not realize where their food comes from. A few walked out because they couldn't handle the truth.

I eat meat, I choose where and how I buy it carefully. I think if you are not willing to watch or slaughter your food, you have no business eating it.

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 11:58 AM ----------

You read about the genetically modified pig in Canada? Supposed to put off less methane in its feces.

. . .
And I am not against killing an animal to eat, I am against the way dolphins are killed, the same way I am against the poor conditions in which other animals are kept and why I choose not to buy from such businesses. What I was saying is that some countries have laws regarding the let's call it "humane" killing of animals such as cows and pigs and then throw those rules out the window when it comes to dolphins and that doesn't make sense.

What about the argument that it's better for a wild animal to live free in the wild for many years and then suffer what is likely an agonizing death than for a domesticated animal to be raised in captivity for a few months to a year and then be killed swiftly (let's call it "humanely")? Even if one eats only domestic animals raised on idyllic pastures, it's still sort of morbid to think that such animals have NO chance to survive very long and WILL be killed before they have had a chance to "enjoy" their lives? As the argument goes, at least wild animals are assumed to have enjoyed their lives in the wild up until the day they are killed, and each of them has a very good chance of not being killed. (Of course, unlike dolphins, wild species lower on the food chain are very likely to be killed--and violently and painfully at that.) I think it's very hard to make a distinction between killing one type of animal and killing another.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I have to admit I am impressed they are able to draw a clear line in the sand. The decision of what to eat is a lot more murky for me.

I never made the argument that it's better to have domesticated animals to kill and eat than wild ones. I actually agree that wild animals enjoy their lives more and they die by our hands like many others die due to other predators. (Although domesticated animals, as the name says, are not wild and are not that bothered by living in the fields. Not caged, of course, but I had already mentioned that.)
What I am against is the unnecessary suffering when they are killed. There's no need to torture them just because they are eventually going to die.

Sorry--I wasn't directing my comment at you personally, Redshift. It was your mention of the contradiction in places with regulations governing "humane" killing of livestock that "throw those rules out the window" when it comes to the killing of wild animals that prompted my comment.

No worries! I didn't take it personally. I know it's often not easy to clearly understood through posts like these.

Human rights for dolphins?

Ridiculous.
TX.....Another 3rd world country !!!!!

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 08:21 PM ----------

Human rights for dolphins?

Ridiculous.
Thanks for the 'Bush' boys BTW ( Dumb, Dumber and Dumdest !!! ).....Nice handling of Katrina in New Orleans !!!!!.......

Yes but unfortunately every movement has its pet pieve and it is well known that "If you cant win over the minds and hearts of men you legislate against them. Such action does not change behavior as intended. You mentioned such as slavery, mutilation ect. Well when you legislate like that you create underground markets. Ultimately nothing changes and it spurs other legialative acts that impact far beyond its original intentions. Such as welfare, medicine developement and reaerch, drugs, sexual abuse ect.. Often the cure spawns outcomes much worse than the illness.
Who would have ever thought that drugs would be legalized. but then the legislation has nothing to do with health or well being. The legislation was to fix a fiscal issue and the fallout is legal drugs. Little johnny falls and stubs his nose in school playing dodge ball. Now no more such activities in school. The consequence is we have condemned our kids to a life of obeasity and its issues because of everything else what ws lost in the process. Dont get me wrong I am totally with the folks that are fighting for ceasing the slaughter practices of some nations when it comes to our marine life. The problem is and always has been the inefective methods used to achieve thier goals. Thier efforts have always targeted the 1% and not the 99. Making cigerettes $100 a carton does not change smoking behavior it changes procurement behavior. Go to jail for having a case of unstamped cigs but get a pass on an in home pot farm. Another thing that gets involved in the issue is that we in the states have no idea what it is to be someone that lives a life that such hunting methods is thier sole means of survival. There are countries that have prostitution as thier primary national/local moneymaker. You can be sure that somewhere there is a croud ,of taken care of/kept church ladies, appealing to the UN to make a world ban on it. Lastly to call for a ban and not a means of inforcement is futile. So what would the UN be expected to do to the dolphin slaugher farms. Do we send in armed enforcers. Do we get the dolphin society to lay down in times square and stop traffic in an act of civil disobediance. What is a realistic, workable, efective and enforcable way to fix this? My guess is that every politition will take your contributions for election in exchange for thier support in saving the dolphins knowing well that there is a treaty in place regarding prohibition of outside interference in said countries customs, and agricultural matters. I can see it now. News at 11. UN enforcers for the saving of dolphins today shot down 14 harvesters in a 5 minute confrontation. Currently 13 dead and one critical but no dolphins were injured in the action. Next in the carribian UN enforcers patrol waters looking for lion fish eradicators in responce to a small group of concerned citizens against sea life cruelty.

As disgusting as it is, I know of no sure way to combat such an act when it is culture/economic based and driven.

In democratic societies which are based on a rule of law, the changing of laws in parliament may be the only effective way of changing behaviour.

The link above takes you to a thread that is dominated by extreme views presented by emotionally charged campaigners. That is another method for changing behaviour.

Each method has advantages and limitations. They both achieve the first step, which is raising awareness. History shows that effecting change is much more difficult and takes much longer (e.g., gun control in the US, female genital mutilation) but possible (e.g., slavery) but not in all countries (e.g., state executions).

IMHO, individual humans will make good choices given the right information and the right opportunities. Societies need to be guided by democracy and the rule of law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX.....Another 3rd world country !!!!!

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 08:21 PM ----------

Thanks for the 'Bush' boys BTW ( Dumb, Dumber and Dumdest !!! ).....Nice handling of Katrina in New Orleans !!!!!.......

Holy Smokes! How long have you been hanging on to this anger and hatred of all thing Texan? Let it go man...it's eating you alive. C'mon down sometime and we'll take you out to the Flower Gardens for some beautiful diving. Afterwards, I'll treat you to a steak and beer to help you shake off this skewered world view. I promise not to wear my split fins, I'll scrape the Bush/Cheney bumper sticker off my truck, and YOU HAVE MY WORD that I won't talk bad about anyone from Louisiana for the entire time you're down here.

Wishing you peace, love & dolphin free tuna!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom