Human rights to dolphins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

more stupid humans choosing what lives and dies based on how cute it is.

perhaps the bill writer should be classified as human who lacks common sense.

Maybe human rights is going too far, but it amazes me that while for as the mentioned pigs there are rules about animal cruelty and measures are in place to minimize suffering when they are killed, for dolphins, which are clearly evolved creatures, barbaric practices are allowed.

Maybe human rights is going too far, but it amazes me that while for as the mentioned pigs there are rules about animal cruelty and measures are in place to minimize suffering when they are killed, for dolphins, which are clearly evolved creatures, barbaric practices are allowed.

Not here in the USA. They are protected here. As a matter of fact just approaching one here in the US will land you in hot water. Isn't there is a large whale harvesting "ceremony" that goes on up there in northern Europe?

Nope, Europe is perfect.

History shows that effecting change is much more difficult and takes much longer (e.g., gun control in the US,

It is a frustrating wait to get rid of gun control but cheer up, we're making good progress in the free States.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The FACT that dolphins possess a complex language, that we even know has an effective alphabet, and that they speak in their language and convey very complex thoughts many times faster than humans do....is huge for this decision making.....and combine this with their complex social systems, and complex behaviors....and you have a "peoples".

Personally, there are groups of fisherman in Japan I see as grossly inferior to dolphins....by intellect, my moral character, and by their contributions ( or destruction) to our planet--and when these fisherman are actively engaged in the brutal murder of dolphins--I believe these fisherman should be threatened with their own extinction to prevent this murder.....Put me in the position to make the threat...I would find it VERY EASY to threaten or KILL such murdering fisherman, and then I could sleep like a baby afterwards.

If one of my diving friends was being threatened by a mugger with a knife or a gun, and in imminent peril....it would be my RESPONSIBILITY if nearby, and capable of interceeding...to use ANY AND ALL FORCE necessary to save the life of my friend....and this would include the shooting and killing of the mugger. This is legal, and this is a moral necessity....and a Kantian Imperative ( which is what I go by).

Personally, there are groups of fisherman in Japan I see as grossly inferior to dolphins....by intellect, my moral character, and by their contributions ( or destruction) to our planet--and when these fisherman are actively engaged in the brutal murder of dolphins--I believe these fisherman should be threatened with their own extinction to prevent this murder.....Put me in the position to make the threat...I would find it VERY EASY to threaten or KILL such murdering fisherman, and then I could sleep like a baby afterwards.

I was going to post a comment, but I really can't add much to this.

It is a frustrating wait to get rid of gun control but cheer up, we're making good progress in the free States.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Actually gun control is being able to hit the intended target :D But gun, weapons and explosives regulation has been with us for a long time (think automatic weapons regulations) and gun regulation will stay with us. Then the only real question is what kind and how much? But thats pretty much OT

I think applying Human Rights to animals, is as ridiculous as applying it to corporations ( OH WAIT WE ALREADY DID THAT):confused: but thats OT also

SO:

I think "enforced" science based prohibitions is much more realistic.

I think the analogy to pigs while it certainly brings up the questionable and ill conceived practice focusing on charismatic mega fauna and ignoring the entire eco system.
And the question of "Why is ok to kill some animals and not others" certainly has merit on general basis. but that is also a different discussion.

However
I do think it is not unreasonable to have priorities and there is obviously a vast distinction between domestic livestock or even wild land based animals who's numbers if scientifically regulated and enforced are highly controllable. And ocean based wild stocks about which relatively little known, and who's numbers are not really controllable.

Last edited:

Pigs are raised in factory farms, at least in the USA (not sure about how Finland gets meat). These are horrifying places where sentient, social, intelligent animals live miserable lives in tiny cages before they are killed. Dolphins are wild animals. They live natural lives until they are killed. Approximately a million pigs are slaughtered for every dolphin, BTW, if numbers matter to you.

Now, if you want to argue that no animal should be killed for food, that's an arguable stance. Not one that I agree with, but at least it's a consistent argument. But apart from the fact that it has become fashionable lately in diving culture to view the fishermen of Taiji like the guards of Auschwitz, I don't see how the cruelty that most of us abide and support (if we are like most western meat-eaters) is much better than what goes on in Japan.

"clearly evolved creatures" = "an aesthetically appealing animal that I am particularly drawn to as an ocean-lover"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom