Hull Cleaning Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the yard won't be like that's not clean enough???
In California, the yards have to handle the stuff that comes off boat bottoms during pressure washing operations as hazardous waste. With really foul boats, this can mean a 55-gallon drum's worth or more. Very expensive. The yard would pass the cost along to the client of course, but they'd rather not have to deal with the bad ones at all. Since it's still legal to scrape what the yard would otherwise have to treat as hazardous waste into the water (go figure :idk:) they advise the client to have the bottom cleaned prior to the haulout.

Has anyone dove with the Kirby Morgan supermask.I'm looking into getting a full face mask that's comms compatible and am leaning toward this particular mask.

Did u get special training to pull props or atleast a quick little teaching from a friend or did u just go into it?!
No training, just bought a puller and went to work. It's not rocket science (for the most part.) Once you start dealing with folding and feathering props, it's gets a little more tricky though.

Not to mention dealing with some of the larger props that are tapped for a propsmith puller...
I wish I had known where to get one of those a few years ago. I had a prop shop fabricate me one to pull one of those props. It cost me me every penny I billed on the job and I've never needed it since. :crying:

where do u get prop puller and how much are they?
Your local prop shop can sell you a puller or you can Google "prop puller" for lots of online resources. The one I find most versatile and useful is the Pro-Pull PPF-113, which I posted a picture of the other day. Ran me a couple of hundred when I bought it. I'm sure it's more now.

how do you put the prop back on?
Most of the props I deal with are small enough to be carried in the water. Just slide it back up over the shaft and key. Pretty straightforward.

how do you tighten the nut? air? wrench with lots of muscle and leverage? do you se a torque tester to see if your at factory standards
I place a length of 2"X2" lumber between the strut and rudder, immobilizing the prop. The nuts I tighten with a large pipe wrench. I don't worry about torque specs, I just muscle 'em on as tight as I can. Never been a problem. Most fixed blade props on shafts have a cotter pin thru the end of the shaft as a fail-safe. Folding, feathering props, props on French boats and saildrive props are a different story, however.

Have u ever pulled a prop so big u couldn't carry it through he water easliy
Sure. When removing one, I'll tie it off to a cleat topsides before sliding it off the shaft so I can pull it up out of the water. Putting it back on is a little trickier. I'll lash a large inflatable fender to it, so that it is just slightly positively bouyant. Then I can manouver it around underwater fairly easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom