Hull Cleaning Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What fstbttms said, that pretty well sums it up. Also, don't drop the #*&@ key, especially over a silty bottom...

...don't drop the #*&@ key, especially over a silty bottom...
Good point. To that end I always slide the prop off with the key facing up so it is less likely to go anywhere when the prop comes off. Another tip- leave one of the nuts on the threads when using the prop puller. The prop may pop free with quite a bit of force. If the nut is not left on, the prop will fly off the end of the shaft and go to the bottom. Also, when using the puller (any puller) first get it good and tight on the prop. Then bang the hell out of it on the after end with your pipe wrench or small sledge (don't bang on the prop!) After a few blows, retension the puller, then bang some more. If the prop doesn't come off right away, take the puller off and reposition it in a different spot on the prop and repeat the process. Pressure, pounding and persistance are the keys. The prop will come off eventually.

Okay, I defer to the larger experience base here, but I got called to yank a sailboat prop that nobody's puller could remove. Magilla Gorilla tightened the nuts and it looked like a LocTite product was applied, too. Green hard plastic was on the bore of the prop when it DID come off. I used an air drill to drill three 1/4" holes on the face of the center boss parallel to the shaft, then threaded the holes 5/16" fine thread. My Mac Deluxe Bolt Grip puller had that beauty off the shaft in less that 2 minutes. It is trickier underwater, but if you can get a serious puller on it, it WILL see things your way.

DC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom