Hull Cleaning Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We also have an agreement between each other that we will keep our prices the same that away we don't undercut each other..

Well I wasn't trying to do anything illegal. I dive on the side it's not about money it's about getting wet.just started four months ago and I wasn't sure what to charge so I asked other divers their price and set my price the same.I wouldn't feel right setting my price lower and being a cutthroat..

Well I wasn't trying to do anything illegal. I dive on the side it's not about money it's about getting wet.just started four months ago and I wasn't sure what to charge so I asked other divers their price and set my price the same.I wouldn't feel right setting my price lower and being a cutthroat..
I'm sure that's true. And while it may be small potatoes, it is technically collusion and therefore illegal. I just mention it because some customers (and other divers) might not like it and could use it against you. Just sayin' :wink:

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere in this thread, but since we are talking about people just getting into the biz, it's an important safety item that all hull cleaners should know- unplug every boat you dive on. A boat plugged into the shore power system is a potential killer. I know it's not always possible to unplug each and every boat, but if you can, you should. This goes double for anybody working in freshwater. FYI.

Why?! Does it do something to the metal on the vessel

If the boat is plugged in to the 110 volt shore power system and there is an electrical problem aboard, it could be putting all those amps into the water. It doesn't take much to kill you.

wow! thats good to know! I dove on a friends boat that definatley had a problem because the batteries would drain themselves in 2-3 days due to a sort!!! scary!

how would it kill u? just jumping in or actually working

If the amperage is high enough (and again, it doesn't take much) you could be killed simply entering the water.

Fortunately, this kind of thing is a rarity, but it does happen. Be smart and unplug the boat before you dive on it. Electrocution can ruin your day. :D

And even if shore power isn't plugged in, there could be some risk due to crappy wiring at the marina, which isn't all that uncommon.

have any of you ever cleaned a bottom before a hull out? I was looking at the yards rate around here and a pressure washing is 3 dollars a foot and a 70 dollar haz mat fee! would people rather pay half as much for us to clean????
I charge double plus a little extra for these, "The yard won't haul me until I have the bottom cleaned" jobs. I don't worry about yard fees, I'm not in business to be cheaper than they are. The benefit to the boat owner in using a diver is convenience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom