Hull Cleaning Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only salvage work I have ever done is when I have been called in by my friends/colleagues/competitors to help them unsink a boat (at $1000/day, that's a good reason to make friends :wink:) I leave serious salvage work to the guys that really know what they are doing, and that generally means divers with hard-hat experience. There's good money in it, but also high expenses, liablity and hazards. If you don't know what you are doing, you can really take a bath (no pun intended) or wind up hurt or dead.

1000 a day! was that your cut or what they charged for you??
That particular job was a floating home built on a catamaran-style hull that sank in shallow water. The $1000/day was what I was paid. We ultimately were unable to raise the boat and the insurance company brought in the big boys with a crane to bring it up.

what kind of boat? some boats can sink and it doesnt sound to hard to un sinkit. a small one needs a few bags under it and a trash pump?
There is nothing simple or easy about unsinking boats and they almost never go as planned. For instance, a buddy of mine (who does a lot of serious salvage work here in the Bay Area) recently had a crew of 4 divers on a job unsinking a sand barge over the holidays. Took 19 days, almost all with overtime. He is $30,000 out of pocket in crew expenses and now the owner of the barge is disputing the invoice. He billed the guy $100,000 for the job (which was successful) and now it looks like he'll be lucky if he doesn't lose money on the gig. That's an extreme example for sure, but it makes my point. Even very experienced divers can get financially screwed doing salvage work.

I have enough to do just trying to get all my boats cleaned on time without branching out into salvage work.

That particular job was a floating home built on a catamaran-style hull that sank in shallow water. The $1000/day was what I was paid. We ultimately were unable to raise the boat and the insurance company brought in the big boys with a crane to bring it up.

There is nothing simple or easy about unsinking boats and they almost never go as planned. For instance, a buddy of mine (who does a lot of serious salvage work here in the Bay Area) recently had a crew of 4 divers on a job unsinking a sand barge over the holidays. Took 19 days, almost all with overtime. He is $30,000 out of pocket in crew expenses and now the owner of the barge is disputing the invoice. He billed the guy $100,000 for the job (which was successful) and now it looks like he'll be lucky if he doesn't lose money on the gig. That's an extreme example for sure, but it makes my point. Even very experienced divers can get financially screwed doing salvage work.

I have enough to do just trying to get all my boats cleaned on time without branching out into salvage work.

WOW! thats crazy! i cant imagine why someone would complain at something that went right? did he make them sign a contract before??

WOW! thats crazy! i cant imagine why someone would complain at something that went right? did he make them sign a contract before??
I don't know all the details, but my buddy seems to be at a disadvantage because he didn't dot all the "i"s and cross all the "t"s as regards his divers (all union workers, BTW). The barge owner (apparently pissed about the final bill) did some digging, found out about it and told Ted he wasn't going to pay the invoice. I guess there's some state arbitration process for union issues like this, and they are in the middle of it now. Takes months. Ted is simply hoping to get enough to cover what he paid his guys. The 19 days of his labor? Forget about it. Ted could have spent those 19 days cleaning boat bottoms, made a pile of money doing it and not had any of the headaches.

My experience branching into more commercial-type ventures has been similar, if not so dramatic or financially draining. I've learned my lesson- stick to hull cleaning. It pays better in the long run and I'm not apt to get into trouble doing it. :wink:

That sucks! Have u ever done contracts for stuff just to be sure?! It seems like some jobs u would want to in case the owner backs down?!
For hull cleaning, I have never used contracts. Yes, I have been screwed by a few deadbeat non-payers, but you know what? That's what God invented prop pullers for. :wink:

I don't use flyers generally, but I do post my business cards in every likely location. In fifteen years I have put up many thousands of cards. My guesstimate is that maybe 1% of them actually turn into customers. That's just the reality of the business. Doing the face-to-face thing may produce better results, but that's a lot of weekends walking the docks. And while it may, or may not, be a concern, but you won't make a lot of friends out of other hull cleaners if they find you've been talking to their customers, trying to woo them away. Just sayin'.

I talked to the other dive services and they had no problem with me handing out flyers.even made a good friend from one particular dive co. And have made several dives with him.my main goal from walking the docks is so everyone can put a face to my flyers and I also get to show my love for the job.one other thing is I want my potental customers to know I'm an honest person providing an honest service.but I did have an incident at one particular marina where my flyer on there billboard kept dissapearing..

Back
Top Bottom