HP100 vs 2 80al

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobthegoalie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the chance to buy either one steel hp 100 or 2 80al tanks for the same price. I do not have my nitrox cert but am planning on it very soon. I am also looking into getting my AOW cert. I have heard your height helps determine what kind of tanks to go with. I am 5' 7" :shocked2: i know i break height records. Thanks in advance

What diving do you normally do? Depth, location, time, and location? How is your air consumption? An HP100 is shorter and may be a better fit for you. An HP80 may be even better. But if you can't buy two of these tanks, it may not matter, depending on the diving you do.

If you have one tank and you are constantly running to the LDS to rent a second because you are on 2-tank charters, you haven't done much other than save a little money.

IMO, owning your own tanks is more about freedom than saving money. Owning the right tank for your diving is also a plus, though.

I am from St. Louis so most of my dives are quarrys. Mermet is normally the best place so depths are around 50ft. But once i get AOW and nitrox that will prolly drop to 80 or so. My most recent dive was at the dive stop so the depth was only 35ft. On a 80al i went 50 min before i had to come up for air.

Well, keep in mind your air consumption will get better as you dive more. If you are diving at a quarry where you can easily get a second (third?) tank, then personally I would get the HP100 unless someone tells you it's too tall for you (I'm a few inches taller than you). Of course, the Al80 is taller still.

You will appreciate the HP100 because it will make your whole rig a few pounds lighter. And with all the neoprene you are likely wearing in the quarry, you don't have to worry about being negatively buoyant with no ditchable weight.

Go Steel....Smaller, hold more air, better buoyancy, less weight on your belt/BC, they trim out better....and they just feel better. At the same time, you can get 2 tanks vs. one with Aluminum and they are a little less costly with respect to needing a tumble after hydro

I do like the steel idea. Most of my dives will be in the quarrys. When they do become other dives i will purchase the tanks that fit that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom