HOY mga pasaway !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolov:
tomorrow lets do it with her.
my guess:

pao assisted chippy in the pool to play with his new comp... probably taught/ tipped chip on skin diving so he can play around at 14'

it's either that or they're both now into pillow biting eeeeewwwwwwww

Jag

moonlighting:
What about Bahay Kubo of the Phil Pasaway Divers...

Can't be PHils Pasaway Divers (PPD) only, might cause confusion to Phil Paradise Divers (PPD).

My two peysos...
not exactly confusion pero the point was to show the "slight" deviation from the PPD

Jag

Since I'm the one that has come up with this idea, I thought it would be best if I explained the intent of having a subforum for the regional language and the concept of having a Local Guide.

This is to be a pilot program that would simply serve as a model for other regional forums around the world where languages other than English are spoken. Once we figure out what works well and what does not work, we can begin to have similar forums for other languages around the world.

It's simply impractical to have multiple languages spoken all over the board. This is most obvious in places like the Basic Scuba Discussons forum. If eveyone posted in a different language it would increase confusion. I'm not saying that this is happening now, but am only pointing out that because it does not happen everyone feels included. What we are trying to do does not change anything on the board. The rules are still the same. We would simply be adding a new dimension to a local area.

One of the advantages of letting English remain "the language of trade" (for lack of a better term) for the entire board is that people from one region will feel comfortable going into a forum for another region to ask about the local diving. If someone from France, Germany or the United States comes into the PPD forum they will feel comfortable knowing that they can ask questions and receive answers from the locals in English. They will feel welcome instead of feeling that they are intruding in your local area.

On the other hand, it would be nice if people in regions around the world could discuss local issues and develop friendships in their native language. There are times when you simply want to express an idea in a way that can be best understood in your native language. At times, something is simply lost when you try to express a particular thought in English and it would be nice to just say it in the language that everyone local to the area understands.

This idea is not intended to push anyone into some cave to get them out of the way. It is intended to help keep lines of communication around the world more open. This is where a Local Guide comes in.

The idea of having a Local Guide is to have someone that can help the moderators keep the sub-forum in line with the TOS. Also, if someone comes in to the PPD main forum from another region and asks a question the Local Guide could let people in the sub-forum know that someone is asking a question about the local area. It's a way to make sure that your local hospitality continues to help people that are looking for help from the locals.

The Local Guide can also help with local events and helping to make new people to the forum feel welcome at these events.

For the last year, I've been working on the idea of a Local Guide for ScubaBoard in Southern California. Membership has grown in the area and we now have a monthly beach dive and BBQ that moves around the region every month. We also now have a monthly boat dive that uses different boats around the region. We are always easy to find because I put up a ScubaBoard Banner. The banner also attracts other local divers in the area who want to know what we are all about. Many of those people have become members of ScubaBoard and come out and dive regularly with us. Our group has grown to about 170 people that get together and dive. Out of that group, we usually have about 20 to 40 people show up on a regular basis. It's not always the same people, but we always have a nice friendly crowd.

Whether or not any of this works in a local area will depend entirely on what the people in the area do with it. We thought that we'd try this out and see if it helped in your area. If it works, then it would serve as the model for the rest of the world.

So, if we can come up with a name for the sub-forum, we can try this out and see if it works. If it does that will be great. If it doesn't we'll just remove the sub-forum knowing that we tried to do something positive for all the right reasons.

Since Kim is more familiar with things in this forum, I'll let him follow this thread and tell us how things are going with this pilot program. It is 1:30 am in my part of the world, so I'm going to get some sleep now.

I have not spent much time in your forum, so I don't know that much about this area of the board. From what Kim has told me, you all have an enthusiasm that makes you the right group to give this a try with.

I just want to leave you all with one thought. We are trying to help the PPD forum in general and maybe those of you who regularly participate here can lead us on the road to becoming a truly international board where everyone is included and we can help divers come together all over the world.

Personally, I think this is a good thing. I hope you agree.

Dive safe!

Christian

Back
Top Bottom