How you write deco plan on your slate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not hard to remember. All you really need to know is the relationship between bottom time and depth versus total deco time. If you know total deco time then it's trivial to figure out the lengths of individual stops according to whatever standard pattern you follow.

If you need reminders on this stuff then honestly I don't think it's a good idea to be doing this type of diving in the first place.
This is perhaps one of the most arrogant and ignorant sounding posts I have seen in a while. Enjoy your diving

This is perhaps one of the most arrogant and ignorant sounding posts I have seen in a while. Enjoy your diving
Thanks, I do enjoy it! But out of curiosity, what part of my post do you consider arrogant or ignorant?

Reactions: OTF
It's not hard to remember. All you really need to know is the relationship between bottom time and depth versus total deco time. If you know total deco time then it's trivial to figure out the lengths of individual stops according to whatever standard pattern you follow.

If you need reminders on this stuff then honestly I don't think it's a good idea to be doing this type of diving in the first place.

Do you feel the same way about checklists?

Do you feel the same way about checklists?
Which checklists? If you're referring to something like the pre-dive sequence then sure, print it out and keep it in your gear bag. You have all the time in the world to read through it before you get in the water. But information you might need underwater should be memorized so that you don't need to waste time looking it up.

And really when it comes to deco plans there is very little to memorize. For the ocean bounce dives that most of us on this forum are doing we only need to remember a few key parameters, and then we can calculate the rest on the fly with basic arithmetic. Divers who don't understand that are usually unclear on the basics and overcomplicating something that should be simple. (Expedition diving to extreme depths or near saturation times or using large numbers of different gas mixes are another story altogether.)

Which checklists? If you're referring to something like the pre-dive sequence then sure, print it out and keep it in your gear bag. You have all the time in the world to read through it before you get in the water. But information you might need underwater should be memorized so that you don't need to waste time looking it up.

And really when it comes to deco plans there is very little to memorize. For the ocean bounce dives that most of us on this forum are doing we only need to remember a few key parameters, and then we can calculate the rest on the fly with basic arithmetic. Divers who don't understand that are usually unclear on the basics and overcomplicating something that should be simple. (Expedition diving to extreme depths or near saturation times or using large numbers of different gas mixes are another story altogether.)
are you talking about ratio deco?

And really when it comes to deco plans there is very little to memorize. For the ocean bounce dives that most of us on this forum are doing we only need to remember a few key parameters, and then we can calculate the rest on the fly with basic arithmetic. Divers who don't understand that are usually unclear on the basics and overcomplicating something that should be simple.
Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong.
- H. L. Mencken

The deco algorithms backed by science and testing are not amenable to on-the-fly calculation.

That said, you can get a rough approximation of the results of an actual deco algorithm using simple math, but only within specific parameters. Or, as stated in Ratio Deco – is it nonsense? – The Theoretical Diver

The above examples demonstrate that it is possible to develop a approximation of a decompression model that provides a reasonable fit over a limited range of depths, bottom times and breathing gasses. Going beyond these limits the approximation starts to fall apart.

I'm not sure you understand the point of a written checklist.

The human brain is amazing, but it has failure modes. For example, if you are tired, hungry, angry, sick, or distracted. Or, in this particular example, when you have an unanticipated gear failure underwater.

But I guess that's impossible if you are absolutely sure that no matter what is going on, you will always be able to calculate deco in your head. I personally write a bailout plan on a slate. But hey... you do you.

I'm not sure you understand the point of a written checklist.

The human brain is amazing, but it has failure modes. For example, if you are tired, hungry, angry, sick, or distracted. Or, in this particular example, when you have an unanticipated gear failure underwater.

But I guess that's impossible if you are absolutely sure that no matter what is going on, you will always be able to calculate deco in your head. I personally write a bailout plan on a slate. But hey... you do you.
I imagine he uses ratio deco or some kind of mental approximation

For dives with deco < 30 mins, I do not write down the plan as I always dive with 2 computers.
For dives with deco > 30 min, in addition to the 2 computers, I write the deco plan in case of bailout on a plastic slate, together with the Max TTS on CC

I find the calculation on the fly of the deco time required to be of little use as long as you have 2 computers. However I have my own calculated tables in my wetnotes. These are calculated with a Buhlman model using my conservatism and taking account the gas I would be using for those depths. I hope I will never need to resort to these.

1693179606649.png

E.g., at 30m, each minute of bottom time generates 0.5 min of deco
E.g., at 40m, each minute of bottom time generates 1 min of deco
E.g., at 50m, each minute of bottom time generates 1.5 min of deco
E.g., at 60m, each minute of bottom time generates 2.5 min of deco
E.g., at 70m, each minute of bottom time generates 3.5 min of deco
E.g., at 80m, each minute of bottom time generates 4.5 min of deco
E.g., at 90m, each minute of bottom time generates 6 min of deco

there seems little evidence of writing down dive plans from my observations - most people carry two computers and if your with a buddy also doing the same profile with 2 computers thats a lot of redundancy in a standard tech dive set up- give me 4 computers over a written dive plan any day

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom