How would you teach a 10yr old to use dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive tables aren't math, they are reasoning. And not being able to get them after both reading the book and listening to the instructor (I understood them fine after one read of the little book that came with the table), may be a sign that your kid is not ready to dive.

There are many arguments against children diving. I've read a few reports, but am not knowledgeable about the related subjects and can not verify their accuracy, but I don't think it's complete BS either. Some of the arguments against are physical reasons (I don't think anyone really knows the effects things like nitrogen have on a child's development), but others are psychological. One of the main psychological arguments is that until close to adult hood, humans are not good at reasoning. And if there is an emergency during a dive, you need to be able to reason using the basic physics taught in OW class. If they can't reason about how dive tables work, it may be a sign that their reasoning has not yet developed to an appropriate level (I don't think it happens fully until late teens).

And I'll just say, I'm not picky about who my buddy is: I'll dive with someone fresh out of OW or a 400 pound guy, but I would never have be buddies with someone under 16. I'm not a fan of 3 person buddy teams, but if I had a child I was diving with, I'd want at least one more adult with me.

I have all my students practice using Table Tutor from scubatoys - Table Tutor reviews and discounts, ScubaToys the nice thing is that if they are Scubaboard members (or Scubatoys forum members) Scubatoys will give you the unlock code for free - VERY nice of them.

The software not only gives problems, but also walks you through solving them if you don't understand how to solve the problem.

Aloha, Tim

On a complete highjack, my 13 year old son just made a perfect score on his basic nitrox course test. No, I didn't teach him or help in any way. I just won't. They have to to do it by themselves. I didn't even make a Perfect score back when I took it. I missed 2.

Second: It's not the math part of dive tables.... it's a basic understanding of the concept of the dive table. I'm very serious with kids when teaching dive tables and I tell them it's something you don't fudge or sluff off. Once kids see the pattern behind table usage, they get it. I still insist that students need to know how to use a dive table. eDRPs and computers are great, but basics are necessary. Kids are digital natives, technology is second nature. However, even though a child can use a calculator, it doesn't mean that he or she can understand math. Dive tables are the same way.

Well, Cabbage even mis understood what I was talking about with him before he made this post and only two people actually addressed it ... Math is not the issue. I have now had the opportunity to experience three different instructors - being a supportive wife and mother through the courses with hubby and kids.

Only one has actually explained why we do tables. I was just curious how others explain them. Doing the math and following a chart is easy - but evidenced here and by the instructors I have seen, instructors fail to really get across the purpose of the tables. They drive home the math - and understanding the numbers...well all they are doing is plugging numbers in ....duh! But why.

I equate this to the math teacher who only memorized the math - doesn't really know how to explain it to a person in lay terms. I was interested in how people explain the purpose of them... sorry - but I don't think it appropriate to say "do this or you die"

My arguement with all of the arrogant instructors out there is that you are not taught teaching methods. I have sat through the most monotone instructors who do not have skills to "teach" and on the other hand my instructor back in '90 was animated and interesting- but that was semester long class.

I was curious if anyone had any great teaching techniques out there - but obviously - there are as few as I thought there were.

Thank you to the people who had valid input without judgement.

Maybe your 10 year old doesn't want to dive yet, but don't punish the young kids who love it and are totally awesome at the sport by saying it's "screwing up their lives".

There is a school of thought that the effects of pressure and nitrogen build up in a young child's developing body may have some long term effects. The real truth is that nobody knows one way or the other. I haven't really looked into the research (and it is unethical to run experiments like this on kids) as I do not have children yet, but perhaps there is some evidence from research done on a human analogue like mice or pigs.

At any rate, what I do know I would not let my young children dive, making them wait until most of their physical developing is complete before subjecting them to the physical stresses of diving. Hopefully by the time I have kids old enough to get certified there will be some more solid information. *&^( the certification agencies for taking a great excuse (too young to be certified) away from concerned parents.

There is a school of thought that the effects of pressure and nitrogen build up in a young child's developing body may have some long term effects. The real truth is that nobody knows one way or the other.

I didn't get the feeling that the person who origionally posted that about not wanting his child to dive was specifically talking about physical effects. You've brought up a good point and I will read up on this further. Thanks.

On a complete highjack, my 13 year old son just made a perfect score on his basic nitrox course test. No, I didn't teach him or help in any way. I just won't. They have to to do it by themselves. I didn't even make a Perfect score back when I took it. I missed 2.

Could I ask what agency that was with? The reason I ask is that, as I understand it, my 10 year old grandson is on hold for further education until he reaches 12 (PADI). Then he can start work on Junior AOW, Junior Rescue Diver (that might be a stretch) and finally, Junior MSD (so I assume he can take the specialty classes after JAOW). AFAICT, he would need to be 15 to enroll in the PADI Enriched Air Diver program.

I don't think it is important in the context of a junior diver that he get involved with Nitrox but I am always curious.

Richard

*&^( the certification agencies for taking a great excuse (too young to be certified) away from concerned parents.

Do you honestly think that the certification would keep parents from allowing thier kids to scuba when the kids are wanting to do it?

How many kids with 0 training can you bet are allowed to breathe off their parents tank in a pool?

This happens more than you would imagine.

So many of you have to remember there was a time before certs.. Like the time before drivers licenses. People just did it and hopefully did it safely.

If thi is in the wrong section, please move it.

Now, scenario:
10 yr old student diver. (4th grader for those not sure)

How would you break down dive tables to those not that well versed in math..

The reason I ask is because the wife feels that since I just get math that maybe I cannot break it down best for her

I feel its very easy and should just make sense to all. So we are going to look at different techniques and then find one that works for her.

Note: I have yet to even start to explain it to her.. Last year, my 10 yr old got it with no problem. This year, my now 10 yr old may have an issue.. But who knows.. hehe

She starts her classes tomorrow! :D

(please leave all your "10 yr olds dont need to be diving" comments to some other thread.. they are not welcome here. She already has all her gear. Computer and all.)

And is this the same wife you said
I only dive with my wife and dont ever see that changing.. in your post about OOA divers?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom