How to Secure Tanks on a Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easy and cheap band the tanks together with ratchet strap that gives you a large foot print then strap the whole thing down

I have never read a thread on the Board that upset me so much as this one. EVERY single solution offered up here is based on a product manufactured ( that's "manifacksured" for the two people in the Florida section who were actually borned and raised here) in our competition in the upcoming WWV (pronounced World War Five) when my Chinese brethren strive to move from the #2 Global Economy to Numbah 1, which is what's left of us.
Just to reiterate for the OP over there in Tampa, WWIII was the Cold War which we officially won, and WWIV is the current War on Global Terrorism which is in the kinda-not-sure phase.
WWV will be a good one, and I hope to God that when I go, I take twenty of those godless peoples with me in the effort.
So now you ask yourself, "Well Mr. Jingoist, just what do you suggest I do then?" And, I can understand your irritation at my hyperbolic erstwhile patriotism.
Sir, or Ma'am, as the case may be, I offer the following suggestion. Stick to the American way and do what's right.
Yes, do what we do here in America to preserve the American way-of-life and American diving, and all that other cloaked-in-the-flag stuff and hire some illegal immigrants to hold your tanks for you while you dive.
Over in Ybor City, I guarantee you there is a 7-11 or QuikStop or whatever serves as a hiring hall over there where you can find any number of willing, hard-working people who just happen not to have been born or naturalized here. Once they trust you, they will lay their lives down rather than let a tank tip over and hit the deck of your boat.
Oh, you can go buy some lameass plastic gadget made by Tibetan prisoners who have recovered from involuntary organ removals, but you foster and support our future worthy adversaries in the one that will truly be the War To End All Wars.
These people are here to work, and they're here to stay. It's not going to be easy to fit them in, but it all starts with little stuff like this.
In any event, good luck with all of this.

Tom, huh? Two of us suggested he simply lay the tanks down on the deck at the stern.

Had a few tonight, huh, Tom :confused:

Debby is correct, the best solution to the OP's rather premature question was to simply rig the tanks and lay them down in the stern - the other suggestions were simply other options, but the best one was just to put them there - without the need for any one, illegal or not :confused: to hold them. Or to purchase other products, foreign made or not.

To address the crux of your post; I'm old enough to remember when America was a manufacturing powerhouse - and on many levels it saddens me to see where we are today - but the market dictates prices and the one who can provide the goods at the lowest cost in most cases - not all - wins.

Check the "Do It Yourself" section under the Equipment forum.
Lots of good ideas. Most are geared toward carrying tanks in vehicles but could easily be adapted to a boat.
If you want to go the frugal (cheap) route for something to just lay the tanks on, buy some swim noodles at the Dollar Tree, cut to length, insert 1" pvc pipe and lace together with poly rope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom