How to reply to a telemarketer..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just hang up during that 2 second pause there is from picking up the line and their system switching in and putting them on the line, if i can say hello twice and still havent heard anything, down goes the receiver. :wink:

I used to ask them to hold for a moment, then set the phone down. After 15 minutes or so, I'd hang up. I figure they are wasting my time by calling, so I'll waste their time when they could be making sales.

Have you seen Dave Barry's article? Good for a laugh...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/6934584.htm?1c

When I was a kid I was mowing my neighbor's lawn for them while they weren't home. A door-to-door salesman came by, and asked if my parent's were home. "Why, yes, They Are!"

He knocked on the door for about 15 min. and was really ticked when he asked why they didn't answer, and I told him, "My parent's are home, I don't live here."

Used to be a telemarketer, actually managed and trained others - but, thank God, I've been delivered from THAT!
Anyway, when they call, I go into training mode. Wait a minute, I say, you need to emphasize the word "need", and then pause after, "good deal". Now try it again, and don't forget to Close Often. Overcome my objection by asking questions and leading me to the buying answer. No, no! Slow down! Now start again at the top... Good. Now hang up and call me back and try again, but ad energy to your voice and... Hello?... Hello?...

Im going to use the Skippy on the ceiling fan and Im out of peanut butter,LOL
Turtle Gal

get a water bottle and some ice cubes when you get a call walk to the bathroom, mix dropping ice cubes and spraying water into toilet untill they get the idea

but get them to continue their sales pitch

3dent:
Have you seen Dave Barry's article? Good for a laugh...

Could you post or PM the text, please, as the site doesn't seem to want me in. (I am not registering for something I'll probably use only once)

One friend of mine asked for the MOST EXPENSIVE telephone plan...said "I'm sick of saving money, I've got way too much...how can I pay MORE..."

Another friend threatend to call the cops when a filtered water company tried to sell him "water purified by reverse osmosis"...he goes on to tell them that he's not buying any of their "kinky and perverted sexual things...this reverse osmosis thing has got to be against the law...I mean calling up a person and asking them this kind of personal questions...etc."...:D

I had a guy who asked me about an alarm system for my house. I told him I wasn't worried about my house being broken into as I trained attack dogs...he went totally silent then said..."sigh...I haven't heard that one before...I have no response for that."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom