How to promote nitrox and mixed gas diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squid-france

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all

we are a group of instructors wanting to promote nitrox and /or mixed gas diving to the diving clubs of our state districts.

As this subject might be more generic than the one covered in the technical diving section of this forum, I decided to write this thread here. But I would understand if you think about moving it there.

We are trying to built a Frequently Asked Question list to help the club president to start the activity in his structure.

Hence, according to you, what would be the first questions a club president will ask before initiating or developping further more the nitrox or other mixed gas diving (advanced nitrox, trimix,...) ?

Thanks for your feedback :coffee:

At least for DSAT, if you want to be a trimix mixer, you'll need to be a trimix diver. Same with nitrox.

From what I can gather, your biggest issue will be securing oxygen and helium supplies from air liquide(I think that's one company in france). You may need to be careful if they ask what the O2 is for. Get a copy of the oxyhacker book Vance Harlow's OXYGEN HACKER'S COMPANION From AIrspeed Press for more information.

There's also a compressor and blending section on many websites, including this one.

I think the easiest way to promote it is to be clear about the benefits and drawbacks, and let the information speak for itself.

I should think that the first question asked would be; Why use nitrox? It's more expensive, more complicated and we've been diving on air with no problems for ever.

I should think that the first question asked would be; Why use nitrox? It's more expensive, more complicated and we've been diving on air with no problems for ever.

Are you asking that, or just saying it should be a question?

...We are trying to built a Frequently Asked Question list...what would be the first questions a club president will ask...

I should think that the first question asked would be;

That was a suggestion for his FAQ

Be like America, where's the free T-Shirt?

Last edited:
Since most of us don't live in France, I don't think we can understand what things are like for nitrox diving there. If you are trying to promote it, there must be some sort of obstacle you have to overcome. I know what kind of obstacles stand in the way of nitrox use where I live and in many of the resort areas I visit, but I don't know how they relate to your situation.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be for you to explain to us what things are like for you and why you feel it needs promotion. Maybe then we can give more meaningful suggestions.

It's probably just that his particular dive club that doesn't mix nitrox/trimix, and he'd be interested in it.

I think the biggest faq is "why" and the answer is "reduced nitrogen loading" and "extended bottom times for optimal mixes" as well as "shorter surface intervals between dives". You can point out the differences with pre-cut eanx32/36 charts from padi/etc.

But if your dive club isn't regularly hitting 18-36ish m, they're not going to get a big use out of their nitrox investment. Same with trimix if their members aren't exceeding 30m. If they're mixing a lot of trimix, that means they'll want a booster too, which means another $20k.. etc. Plus buying helium.

Barring any legal problems.

Barring any legal problems.

France is a bit rife for that sort of thing.

There have been all sorts of issues with France legally not recognising non-CMAS certifications and so forth. For example, a TDI Advanced Trimix diver I know was depth limited by law when diving in France (to something silly like 24m) because he wasn't a CMAS 2* diver.

It may have changed, but I suspect that there will be plenty of legal issues around mixed gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom