How to piss off a Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7. Not monitoring their air supply and telling me when they are at the stated "notice" level
[Flaming torch]
First, if they dont monitor their air supply, how are they to know when to let you know?
Second, why do you need to know Im on 1000 psi when its 5 minutes left of the agreed upon dive time and were clearly preparing for our safety stop and exit?
[/Flaming torch]

Two things piss me off.
1. Family members that try and make other family take scuba class. Which usually ends up with the DM dealing with someone with a lot of anxiety and problems. The persons day out on the water usually ends up with the DM towing them back through the surf and carrying most of their gear.
2. The bastard that calls and cancels the dives after you're already at the beach with their gear unloaded. The time he does show up he's hungover.

Silent people annoy me. They will be on the boat for the best part of a day not talking to anyone. When questioned about their diving interests, their replies are vague and they look disinterested- it's really hard to plan a dive site for these folks. They can really change the dynamics of an otherwise upbeat group of people. Communication is important- it makes everyone's life so much easier. Everyone has bad mornings, but I've had multiple days with the same people on the boat.

Speaking as one of the silent people, I'm happy to tell you -- once and succinctly -- where I'd like to go. But beyond that, I'm there for the water taxi and the diving: not the cat herder I'm forced to tolerate, not the other people on the boat who I have to watch flail around and rapidly burn down their tank while I'm trying to enjoy my dive, and surely not forced small talk. That's what bars are for. The group's "dynamics" are not my (or any other introverted person's) concern.

Divemasters work their butts off for very little pay and sometimes not even for that. They have to put up with a lot of crap and still hold a smile. It can be a real thankless job.

When I'm the DM in class or on the boat, my job is to make sure nobody gets hurt, nobody does anything actively dangerous and head off any emergencies on the boat before they happen and handle any that happen anyway, on the surface.

Smiling is not a requirement. While there are quite a few days when everything is awesome, your shop should have a process for eliminating the stuff that causes extra work for no reason, like no-shows, divers that ignore stated limits and anything that causes you extreme stress.

---------- Post added December 17th, 2013 at 02:34 PM ----------

Not listening to the dive briefing! It's so much fun to jump in the water and swim like mad to tow divers back to the boat who ended up down current,

Students get a free tow back to shore during open water dives. However certified divers that ignore crew instructions regarding the site, the head, the phase of the moon or "whatever" get invited to not come back.

Last edited:
Speaking as one of the silent people, I'm happy to tell you -- once and succinctly -- where I'd like to go. But beyond that, I'm there for the water taxi and the diving: not the cat herder I'm forced to tolerate, not the other people on the boat who I have to watch flail around and rapidly burn down their tank while I'm trying to enjoy my dive, and surely not forced small talk. That's what bars are for. The group's "dynamics" are not my (or any other introverted person's) concern.

I shouldn't jump in but i'm bored...

i believe supergaijin was referring to times where he acts as a dive guide & DM, not just as a DM. a guide needs to know what the divers want to see, etc. But for those of us that don't go on guided dives it doesn't really apply. I don't talk too much on the trip & out either.. it's noisy with the wind & the engines & my voice doesn't carry well. I'd rather plan the dive if it's an instrabuddy

1. Telling a guy what he was doing wrong and saying ok won't do it on the next dive, then on the next dive does the same Damn thing and you have to stop the group to pull this joker back up. 2. After the dive not putting away rental gear and leaving it for the DM or others to clean and put away!

Silent people annoy me. They will be on the boat for the best part of a day not talking to anyone.

That's body-language for "leave me the hell alone". Not everybody wants to talk or wants "help."

In fact, I've told a couple of overly helpful DMs that I'll give them an extra tip if they all leave me alone.

While I know you guys wanted a whine-fest, I still think that the existence of DMs on most "vacation" type of dives is exactly what allows and encourages poor training, poor skills and unskilled divers.

If divers were told in class and verified on the exam, that there would be no DMs anywhere, ever, and they were personally responsible for their own enjoyment and safety, divers would be much more competent and would choose and dive their dives much more carefully.

OK, want to hear the other side? What would you say/do if a DM put his hand on your valve and turned it (to make sure gas was on presumably) just before entry?

I don't want anyone touching my gear especially seconds before I went in the water. I told the guy, I hope you didn't turn it the wrong way dude. It really pi$$ed me off.

OK, want to hear the other side? What would you say/do if a DM put his hand on your valve and turned it (to make sure gas was on presumably) just before entry?

I don't want anyone touching my gear especially seconds before I went in the water. I told the guy, I hope you didn't turn it the wrong way dude. It really pi$$ed me off.

His (her) job is to ensure your safety. Let them do their job.

Id id be more pissed if they just didn't care.

Couple random comments. I am essentially never on a dive with group guides. Its either each pair for themselves or I have hired a dedicated guide.

- I frequently dive on a boat where DM or Captain touches the tank valve just before you go in. Reason is simple. Every now and then they find one that is not on or not all the way on. Their job is to try and make the group safe. Mine has always been on but it does not bug me. They are doing their job.

-Silent people can be a PITA if you get instabuddied with one and are trying to coordinate the dive before splashing. Trying to find out what they want to do, agree on how the dive is to be conducted, and trying to determine their experience. Being a dead fish when you are in a buddy situation to me is just being rude and not preparing for a safe and pleasant dive.

-If you do not like a certain style of dive operation, then dive some where else.

Back
Top Bottom