How to piss off a Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silent people annoy me. They will be on the boat for the best part of a day not talking to anyone. When questioned about their diving interests, their replies are vague and they look disinterested- it's really hard to plan a dive site for these folks. They can really change the dynamics of an otherwise upbeat group of people. Communication is important- it makes everyone's life so much easier. Everyone has bad mornings, but I've had multiple days with the same people on the boat.

People who do not make even cursory research in to their destination choices. These people would dive in a freshwater lake and complain that they didn't see any sharks. If you want to take a photo of the Eiffel Tower, it's not enough simply to go to France. Orangutans live in Malaysia but don't expect to meet one under the Petrona Towers. The seas are seasonal- if you want to take photos of autumn leaves in Japan- don't go in springtime.

The 'hundred club' members. Those that think because they have over 100 dives, the laws of physics no longer apply to them. Card-carrying DM's seem to be the worst at this. I do not rate a non-working DM any higher than a decent AOW diver. Establish yourself in your diving techniques- not your black pro card.

'All the gear but no idea'. They have a lot of shiny equipment, big-rig cameras etc. but still have not read the manual for their Galileo D-9000 intergrated with nanobot technology. Often heard to mutter: "I think computer mistake" in a Russian accent.

The 'old-school' divers who pre-date the BCD and still insist on diving that way. Never stop learning better diving techniques.
neutral buoyancy turtle.jpg

Divers who do not respect the strength of currents and the dangers of depth. I was leading a group of divers a few years ago at around this time of year when the currents in the Maldives can be... fickle. The group was mixed and I was giving a fairly precise briefing for the less experienced divers. One guy who was some distant member of the Dutch? royal family started waxing on about how he's dived this particular reef before and he knows what it's all about; he's dived dozens more like it yada, yada, blah, balh.

During the dive the current was a moderate jogging-paced drift with a mild down-current as the warmer (inner-atoll) water was sliding under the cooler oceanic water. I was staying within 40' with my inexperienced breathers, and this diver was slowly sinking- sliding down the reef. Several times he ignored my signals to come up- I knew from diving this reef at the same time last year that it would get stronger towards the end of the dive as we approach the channel entrance. After the dive he complained bitterly about me saying I ruined his dive.

People that lie about how much air they used after the dive. Professionals use air comsumption to plan future dives and sites.

People that under-estimate their weight requirements. Do a weight check, write it down.
People that over-estimate their weight requirements. Almost nobody needs 6kg in a 3mm shorty.

People that simply have no idea on something as simple as weight, but expect to be considered as 'experienced divers'. They haven't assembled their own equipment in the last 10 years but expect to be considered as 'experienced divers'.

Finally, the people that lament on what they didn't see during a dive as opposed to celebrating what they did. I've honestly had people say that they saw only one whale shark during a full-day excursion.

Phew...

DM? What DM? I am swimming in this direction. And the boat better be there when I surface!
Oops, sorry. I was not listening to the dive briefing. Whuts the name of this dive site?

I'm not a DM, but I'll tell a story that pissed off not only the DM but also most of the divers as well as the boat crew...

In a "busy, warm location" there was 4 russian divers on the boat, chatting in russian - which by itself would be fine. However they talk so loud we can barely hear the staff announcing theill do a roll call, and they keep chatting through the roll call so I have to tell them to shut up and pay attention (which they obviously didnt like at all).
Next up is the briefing, which they dont pay attention to and one of the guys actually sit there with the earbuds in and one of his friends telling the guide "Ill explain him in russian, he dont speak english". I dont speak russian, but the 4 words he told him after the briefing definetly cant have been a good summary of the dive that included information that the local regulations prohibit solo diving as well as diving deeper than 30 meters without special training and equipment.
We jump in first, they jump second. When we get back on the boat an hour later, they are already there all kitted down, dry and changed.
It appear they had done a 55 meter dive on a single tank of air.
When the two DMs on board (who is also instructors and tech divers) try tell them how dangerous (and illegal) what they just did is, they start arguing with them. When asked "what is your sac rate" the response was a blank stare and "what you mean?".
Lets just say the DMs where steaming already and REALLY didnt like the fact that the guys imagined that they would be doing the next dive...

if you take 20 mins to kit up then start 20 mins before the eta on site.

blow drying the 1st stage with the remnants of the cylinder- where did that come from?

Customers that turn up late to the Dive Boat causing the boat to leave late, they then stuff around put their gear slowly on board and then have to make a trip back to their car to get their fins or a mask further extending the departure time.

if you take 20 mins to kit up then start 20 mins before the eta on site.

blow drying the 1st stage with the remnants of the cylinder- where did that come from?

It used to be blow-drying the "dust" cap before replacing it on the 1st stage to prevent salt-water ingress. The reason being that there are precious few dry towels around on the average small dive boat in British waters with which to silently dry the cap.

However, this has morphed into the ludicrous procedure of blowing air at the 1st stage which is just a good way of atomising any salt-water on the sealing face and driving it through the sintered brass filter and on into the 1st stage.

...blow drying the 1st stage with the remnants of the cylinder- where did that come from?

It used to be blow-drying the "dust" cap before replacing it on the 1st stage to prevent salt-water ingress. The reason being that there are precious few dry towels around on the average small dive boat in British waters with which to silently dry the cap.

However, this has morphed into the ludicrous procedure of blowing air at the 1st stage which is just a good way of atomising any salt-water on the sealing face and driving it through the sintered brass filter and on into the 1st stage.

You guys NAILED IT!!!

(I blame poor instruction by their instructors on basic gear maintenance and breakdown procedures/tank swappage protocal from their original certification, as well as people that do not dive often enough to remember anything from their classes other than just breathe normally and do not come up too fast.
To some extent, it is the inevitable outcome of a 48 hour Open Water certification program.)

And now.....
Back to your regularly scheduled DM "kvetch-fest".

Chug
Lives where "in-water" DM's are a rarity.

Last edited:
Go ahead, tell me you're OK when you performed a rapid ascent feet-first from 60 feet. Please try to fight me off when you cannot right yourself at the surface. Tell me again how you don't need my help when I'm towing you back to the boat. Now... beg me to let you go back for dive #2.

I DM for cert classes - way easier than boat DMs have it. And a whole lot more fun, as I like working the slow learners/high maint people - lots of funny learning moments; very very few "oh-Sh.t".

My hat is off to all DMs that work the boat-handholding thing for "vacation" divers...I think I'd shoot myself if I had to do that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom