how to pick a reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have read the reports (see Chad Carney above). Really helpful.

But - we travel - and one of the issues is weight. So weight of first stage is an issue and can be quite difficult to research.

Can anyone shortcut this? Need a lightweight setup for use in tropical recreation diving only, for use with Nitrox, not a high post like ScubaPro which goes into the back of your head especially if you are looking around a lot, a multi angle swivel on the second stage is useful when turning from looking at the wall to down at little things to up and out into the blue, light well-designed second stage for similar reasons. Not looking for fancy frills - just a workhorse (with the weight of a gazelle) that does its job. Servicing is a consideration - but can get most serviced in the UK.

Any suggestions? Have already noted kirikuru - Apeks suggestion - thanks.

I have an Atomic B2. It is light, not as light as a T2 but light enough for travel and a workhorse of a reg. 2 year service interval and lifetime warranty. It has a swivel on the second stage so it as comfortable as they come. It is not on your original list but it is worth considering.

I'm a Zeagle fan, but for different reasons than have been posted here. All of the top regs work really well, so from that point of view, picking the one you like/price is going to result in a very nice system.

1. I like diaphram first stages. They may not be able to deliver, at the absolute max, as much air as a piston (2 people on the same first stage, at 200 ft, breathing at their maximum). Although some would argue this, so maybe it is with 30 people on the same 1st stage, all breathing hard. Anyway, the design is inherently more reliable. Moving piston, is, well, a moving piston and if something gets stuck to the wall, you will have a issue. Diaphrams have different concerns and both have seats that can leak.

2. I want a regulator that you can carry spare parts for and if needed in the field, repair. That is because I travel to places that do not have any possibility of service. Zeigle is great for this.

Depending on where you dive - both of the above issues may not be the slightest concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom