How to pick a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, is it possible that a diver would just prefer a harness with adjustable straps and quick releases?

Sure, after all, almost everyone who makes a harness offers an adjustable "comfort" harness too. If you have the fortune to live close to an LDS that stocks both, just try both out and see which one you like better (and, if you're looking to take advanced classes in the near future, talk with a few instructors and see if they have any insight on either).

The one-piece harness is one of those things that I think truly tends to work well, but it does take a bit of faith in the beginning and some effort to "grow into." The adjustable harness is immediately intuitive and comfortable for a lot of people. It's kinda like manual transmission versus automatic (and yes, if you start getting into the engineering and fancy multi/computer-controlled clutches the analogy is imperfect). But in the end, it's your money, go for what you want :)

I did most of that :D I didn't try on the single piece so I'm not going to say it is inferior.

But I talked to the tech instructor at the shop and asked him to explain the pro/cons and give me his honest opinion. I then thought about how much effort I was willing to spend in getting in/out of the harness (and learning how to do it in a single piece). I also considered how well I thought I could get in/out while alone. I ended up going with the Dive Rite adjustable harness and I don't regret it.

I did most of that :D I didn't try on the single piece so I'm not going to say it is inferior.

But I talked to the tech instructor at the shop and asked him to explain the pro/cons and give me his honest opinion. I then thought about how much effort I was willing to spend in getting in/out of the harness (and learning how to do it in a single piece). I also considered how well I thought I could get in/out while alone. I ended up going with the Dive Rite adjustable harness and I don't regret it.

It's amazing how many different manufacturers offer harnesses with 1 or more shoulder releases. You'd think with all the discussion about the 1 piece harness and considering the cost differences that the market wouldn't support so many different manufacturers that each seem to have a few models.
Maybe the 1 piece HOG harness isn't quite as dominant as some would have us believe. After all not every diver that uses a BP&W is a tech diver or even interested in exceeding the limits of standard recreational diving. To recreational divers having the releases may help them feel more confident in being able to doff their rig in less than perfect conditions.

When I think of the instructors I personally know that dive BP&W half use the 1 piece the others use deluxe configurations with shoulder releases. But I still know more instructors that teach in jacket style BCD than BP&W.

The bottom line is you need to use what makes you comfortable for the type of diving you do. If the 1 piece harness does that for you all the better it is less expensive. I can use a 1 piece harness but prefer having a release.

I think you guys are making a mountain out of the HOG vs comfort harness issue.
Getting out of a HOG is lightning fast once you know how to do it.
What I do for adjustability is I left out the weight belt keeper between the two waist strap slots, so what I do gearing up is jump the tank up on my back after I don it and at the same time pulling on both waist traps which allows the straps to slide and tighten to the perfect tention on your shoulders. I have a d-ring mounted back on the waist strap by the back on each side to keep the straps from loosening too much. After I have them tensioned up where I want them the d-rings are probably 3 " foreward of the plate.

I just remember once doing a dive in 42 degree water once and my hands got so cold I had no power in them whatsoever. I wouldn't have been able to squeeze a plastic clip to release it if my life depended on it. Getting out of a hog in one swift move bypasses all the searching for the clip and trying to squeeze on it.

What I have seen some of the old school guys do that wear those plastic backpacks on some of the Socal lobster boats is place a stainless weight belt buckle on the left shoulder strap. This allows them a way to undo one side to get out. I personally would employ this method because all it would take is for the buckle to get caught on something and release. But it seems to work for them.

What I do for adjustability is I left out the weight belt keeper between the two waist strap slots, so what I do gearing up is jump the tank up on my back after I don it and at the same time pulling on both waist traps which allows the straps to slide and tighten to the perfect tention on your shoulders. I have a d-ring mounted back on the waist strap by the back on each side to keep the straps from loosening too much. After I have them tensioned up where I want them the d-rings are probably 3 " foreward of the plate.

I just remember once doing a dive in 42 degree water once and my hands got so cold I had no power in them whatsoever. I wouldn't have been able to squeeze a plastic clip to release it if my life depended on it. Getting out of a hog in one swift move bypasses all the searching for the clip and trying to squeeze on it.

What I have seen some of the old school guys do that wear those plastic backpacks on some of the Socal lobster boats is place a stainless weight belt buckle on the left shoulder strap. This allows them a way to undo one side to get out. I personally would employ this method because all it would take is for the buckle to get caught on something and release. But it seems to work for them.

Now I like that idea. At the moment, my webbing is a little stiff going through the bottom of the backplate but leaving out that belt slide makes a lot of sense. Maybe I would put a slide on the shoulder strap so it stops against the plate when I properly tension the waist strap.

I have ordered some of the DiveRite webbing on the off chance that it is a little more flexible than the weight belt webbing. We'll see.

I still like the idea of the captive quick release buckle I posted earlier. Even if the plastic buckle breaks, the only downside is the shoulder strap gets several inches longer. It's not like the rig is going to get lost. I just don't like the folded flap of strap. But that may be because I never really gave it a chance. Or maybe a more flexible webbing will make it more practical. Or a piece of inner-tube to keep it flat against the lower portion of the shoulder strap.

But I get your point about cold fingers and plastic QR buckles. Not to mention how hard they are to operate with mittens (ok, 5mm gloves).

I think I'm going to dive that Freedom plate this weekend at Lake Tahoe. It seems to clear the PRAM double hose reg just fine. At least on the bench... I should have that DiveRite webbing in time to re-rig it.

Richard

Last edited:
You know, I suspect a lot of the people who feel it's difficult to get out of a harness probably have them too tight. Let me clarify: I spent a couple of HOURS with Bob Sherwood (one of the senior GUE instructors) the other day, and he completely redid my rig, loosening the shoulder straps by nearly THREE INCHES! Now, I've learned to get in and out of my harness well enough the way it was, but it will be child's play now.

BTW, it wasn't loosened to make it easier to get in and out of -- he was adjusting the height of the tanks, dropping them far further than I would have thought, and in the process, solving most of my need for weight low on my body.

The Dive Rite people who not only make and sell gears but actually use their own gears to do some truly nasty stuff that most of us mortals can only fantasize about. They don't have any problem using their Transplate and Transpac harnesses - comfort padding, plastic buckles and all.

If the comfort, quick adjustable, quick detachable harness is good for Lamar Hires to use doing cave exploration dive in bum freak egypt Japan, then it's good enough for lil' me and my recreational dive off the coast of Southern California.

What's the title of this thread?

How to pick a BP&W

What's the OP's knowledge level?

The OP stated that they are not well versed about BP&W's

With that back round what is the most useful information for the OP?

For me it's pretty simple. Help them understand the basics. Guide them towards the simplest, least expensive, most widely used configuration, i.e. "KISS"

Long winded, confusing, pointless side excursions into the claimed durability of plastic buckles, and the occasional need, due to limited, specific personal limitations, of more complex harnesses are not really a service to the OP.

I suspect that most people using "comfort" harnesses are doing so because they either assumed they needed one, or were told they needed on by a salesman.

I suspect very few people started with a single piece harness and "evolved" into a complex QR equipped harness.

I can say that virtually none of my customers start in a Hog, and come back to buy an adjustable "Pro-Fit"

It's not uncommon however for people who insist on a Pro-Fit (often after reading some of the "advice" available on scuba forums) end up buying a Hogarthian harness.

For the newbie I always suggest a Hogarthian Harnesses, (absent a compelling reason to use a "Pro-Fit") I advise them that if they really find, after learning how to use a Hog harness, that they *MUST* have a quick release buckle, they can always sew one in.

Almost nobody does this IME.

If you want to be helpful it's useful to keep in mind the audience here.

Tobin

Last edited:
Long winded, confusing, pointless side excursions into the claimed durability of plastic buckles, and the occasional need, due to limited, specific personal limitations, of more complex harnesses are not really a service to the OP.

That's true, but it is much more interesting for everyone else subscribed to the thread... hopefully the OP will forgive.

I was particularly interested in Lynne's comments on improving "accessibility".

Hey-I'm back. I have to say I agree with both Tobin and Rhone_man (and many others). Many times I see a question asked and no one really answers it...but they do put out a lot of info. I've gotten some questions answered-some new ones raised. I am sure after I get with a few local guys who have the set up I will have even more questions.

Back
Top Bottom