How to O2 clean a reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdh

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm a newbie to this board. I've done some searches but keep getting the wrong results.

Anyway back to the question. Can anybody tell me how to O2 clean a reg - I mean in detail. ie what solvents and or cleaners to use to get the job done properly. Does it need to be done as an additional clean after normal cleaning in a sonic bath or what. I've been on a manufacturers service course but this only covered servicing and normal cleaning ie <40% O2. Biox was mentioned as a way to get the everything clean enough for O2 and then to use Christo lube throughout. I know all tools etc need to be ultra clean and the work area needs to be clean too but what do I use. I'm guessing non hydrocarbon solvents, detergents and hot water will do the job but what ones ?

Most dive centres I've seen do not have a 'clean room' so I assume that there are levels of 'clean' when referring to workshops. Do I need a NASA level of clean ?

If any O2 cleaners out there can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
P.S. This is to clean my own regs - not to provide a sevice to others. I know it shouldn't matter to how clean things should be, but I'm not going to sue myself because I haven't been on a course.

Thanks Paul.

Hi Paul,

It's not difficult to do, but there is a lot that needs to be done in order to properly O2 clean a reg - and consists of numerous steps beyond using a specific cleanser. I don't think you will get more information than this, because although you wouldn't sue yourself, it would place whomever gave you instructions on how to do this at increased legal liability.

You can take an O2 cleaning course which will teach you how to properly and safely clean your equipment. Due to the increased risks, this is something that you don't want to fool around with without proper training. At best an unclean reg at higher O2 will damage your gear, and at worst it would contaminate your air supply, which could injure or kill you.

I know it's not the answer you were looking for, but..

Your profile shows your certified with IANTD and PADI, I'm in the process of the PADI course now and would recommend it, dont know about the IANTD, could be better considering the agency name.

I understand the want to do Your Own work on YOUR gear but there are dangers involved. The first and most dangerous is the O2 with ANY oil. Explosion!!!!!!!!! The second is that the componets of the regulator are different that on regular regulators. The rubber is different in the first look.
Spend the extra money on having a SHOP do the work. Even if that entail sending out of Your area. I have to remind You that metal parts spread evenly throughout Your body will make for a really bad day! Bill

pdh:
Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm a newbie to this board. I've done some searches but keep getting the wrong results.

Anyway back to the question. Can anybody tell me how to O2 clean a reg - I mean in detail. ie what solvents and or cleaners to use to get the job done properly. Does it need to be done as an additional clean after normal cleaning in a sonic bath or what. I've been on a manufacturers service course but this only covered servicing and normal cleaning ie <40% O2. Biox was mentioned as a way to get the everything clean enough for O2 and then to use Christo lube throughout. I know all tools etc need to be ultra clean and the work area needs to be clean too but what do I use. I'm guessing non hydrocarbon solvents, detergents and hot water will do the job but what ones ?

Most dive centres I've seen do not have a 'clean room' so I assume that there are levels of 'clean' when referring to workshops. Do I need a NASA level of clean ?

If any O2 cleaners out there can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
P.S. This is to clean my own regs - not to provide a sevice to others. I know it shouldn't matter to how clean things should be, but I'm not going to sue myself because I haven't been on a course.

Thanks Paul.

Paul,

There are two parts to your question.

The first is answered while taking and Oxygen Service Technicians Course where you learn about oxygen handling and how to properly prepare equipment for use with high oxygen concentrations.

The second is answered as a regulator repair technician.

Each are seperate and distinct.

Frankly, unless you are really willing to spend all the money you need for all the tools, ultrasonic cleaners, test equipment etc (read many thousands)

The first thing I would do is go enroll in a good O2 service course from TDI, IANTD or ANDI.

regards,

First of all, there is no such thing as an O2 "clean" reg. Any item that is O2 cleaned loses that rating as soon as it is exposed to outside air. If you were to remove the valve, for instance, from an O2 clean tank, both the tank and valve would lose their O2 rating. Regs will always be exposed to some type of outside air during storage, for example. What is more important with a reg is whether or not it will be used for oxygen concentrations over 40%. Most new modern regs come with a factory rating capable of using O2 up to 40%. Beyond that, the reg will need a rebuild with components capable of enduring exposure to higher concentrations. This isn't a cleaning-it's a service and rebuild. The process and parts required for a rebuild will vary according to your brand and model. I suspect some regs can't be built to use with, say 80% O2, because the parts don't exist anyway. Now, as far as a tank and valve, they have to be completely disassembled and cleaned with certain solvents. Also, all "O" rings have to be a certain type. Do some research on partial pressure blending and nitrox prebanked percentage fills to get a better understanding of not only what cleaning involves but also why. Lastly, even if you managed to properly clean your own equipment, without an O2 service sticker, from a recognized source on your tank, most places wouldn't fill it anyway.

JS1scuba:
Paul,

There are two parts to your question.

The first is answered while taking and Oxygen Service Technicians Course where you learn about oxygen handling and how to properly prepare equipment for use with high oxygen concentrations.

The second is answered as a regulator repair technician.

Each are seperate and distinct.

Frankly, unless you are really willing to spend all the money you need for all the tools, ultrasonic cleaners, test equipment etc (read many thousands)

The first thing I would do is go enroll in a good O2 service course from TDI, IANTD or ANDI.

regards,

Thanks. Most of the tools will be the same as those needed to service a reg properly - ultrasonic baths etc - those I already have, including access to UV equipment. I'll look at O2 courses from the organisations above. I've not seen them widely advertised here in the UK, but I'm sure somebody must be teaching them.

Paul.

yknot:
First of all, there is no such thing as an O2 "clean" reg. Any item that is O2 cleaned loses that rating as soon as it is exposed to outside air. If you were to remove the valve, for instance, from an O2 clean tank, both the tank and valve would lose their O2 rating. Regs will always be exposed to some type of outside air during storage, for example. What is more important with a reg is whether or not it will be used for oxygen concentrations over 40%. Most new modern regs come with a factory rating capable of using O2 up to 40%. Beyond that, the reg will need a rebuild with components capable of enduring exposure to higher concentrations. This isn't a cleaning-it's a service and rebuild. The process and parts required for a rebuild will vary according to your brand and model. I suspect some regs can't be built to use with, say 80% O2, because the parts don't exist anyway. Now, as far as a tank and valve, they have to be completely disassembled and cleaned with certain solvents. Also, all "O" rings have to be a certain type. Do some research on partial pressure blending and nitrox prebanked percentage fills to get a better understanding of not only what cleaning involves but also why. Lastly, even if you managed to properly clean your own equipment, without an O2 service sticker, from a recognized source on your tank, most places wouldn't fill it anyway.

The regs I have can be built to 100% O2 compatable with the kit supplied from the manufacturer, however the kit as supplied is not cleaned for use above 40% - it's all the correct material but just needs to be cleaned in the right way before the reg is re-assembled. I have no intention of cleaning my tanks or valves, I get that done when they test them, but as I can service my own regs, it seemed (I thought) a good idea to clean them myself. I can't believe it's that hard. Incidently I do appreciate the feedback but I am aware of why things need to be cleaned correctly. I can and do blend my own gas and and am only too aware of what happens if things are not clean.

regards Paul.

Easy solution... buy an Atomic M1 regulator and NEVER use it for anything but Nitrox. The M1s are rated for up to 80% oxygen out of the box. No cleaning required!

Back
Top Bottom