How to O2 clean a reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dilligaf368:
I understand the want to do Your Own work on YOUR gear but there are dangers involved. The first and most dangerous is the O2 with ANY oil. Explosion!!!!!!!!! The second is that the componets of the regulator are different that on regular regulators. The rubber is different in the first look.
Spend the extra money on having a SHOP do the work. Even if that entail sending out of Your area. I have to remind You that metal parts spread evenly throughout Your body will make for a really bad day! Bill
Sending it to a shop does NOT guarantee anything. I went for my first rebuild on my ATX200 and the darn thing came back completely screwed up. After that experience I decided to learn the process and put my TLC into the process.

Pick up Vance Harlow's books

The Oxygen Hackers Companion. Lots of common sense information on oxygen cleaning

Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair. A how-to of self repair of scuba regulators.

Between the two of these books you should be able to do a reasonable job of 02 cleaning yourself.

I am just curious, are skin oils an issue? At work we deal with high wattage lamps, both incandescent and arc lamps, and skin oils will cause the quartz envleope to heat unevely. This often results in a shortened lamp life, but this is a heating issue relating to how quartz expands when there is a local skin oil spot, not a flammability issue.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
I am just curious, are skin oils an issue? At work we deal with high wattage lamps, both incandescent and arc lamps, and skin oils will cause the quartz envleope to heat unevely. This often results in a shortened lamp life, but this is a heating issue relating to how quartz expands when there is a local skin oil spot, not a flammability issue.

Mark Vlahos

Anything that can burn is an issue. Human oils certainly fail into this category. I would guess (duck the flames) that suitably cleaned nitrile gloves would prevent this.

Paul.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom