How to locate the optimal height for sidemount cylinder bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That assumes, of course, proper technique with good attention to detail.... as more often than not, divers seek out things like sliding D-rings to compensate for skills related, not equipment performance, issues.

And yet from your very own site of all knowing wisdom on sidemount diving we get:

Blah.JPG

You might notice I primarily make only positive points on my blog. In that passage, I'm describing the WSX-25 as it is sold, and explaining the hardware decisions that Apeks made specific to their rig.

Here's on the forum, in this thread, I'm advising and answering questions on sidemount config, principles and strategies.

Very different writing goals, which emphasis different issues. Either way, the two statements aren't opposing.

Serious divers seeking incorporate sliding D-rings would do so for one reason.

Novice, underskilled, divers would seek to add them for a subtly different reason.

Both reasons are an attempt to 'improve performance'.

The serious (skilled) diver might seek improved equipment performance, building on top off a solid foundation of skillset.

They would manage perfectly fine with fixed D-rings, but might identify a benefit... specific to their unique diving needs... in swapping to a sliding D-ring.

In contrast, the underskilled diver would be attempting to substitute an equipment upgrade for a skill deficit. They'd be struggling with basic sidemount foundations; such as cylinder manipulation and boltsnap use. They'd look to circumvent that skill deficit by finding an 'easier way' through equipment changes. This approach often only serves to further amplify their underlying skill problems and cause more problems and frustration.

Last edited:
I doubt seriously if that is how @babycover or anyone else read your post. Just seems real condescending when you tell someone in one breath that they evidently are not "skilled" enough to use sliding D-Rings and in the next breath are expounding upon the awesome virtue of sliding D-Rings for "skilled" people. Take it as you will but maybe that is one area you can improve upon in how you feed your wisdom to us non-skilled American sidemount divers.

Either way, the two statements aren't opposing.

I consider sliding D-rings to be completely unnecessary. They cause many more problems than they solve.

Get rid of them.... You'll appreciate the improvement.

Blah.JPG

This also seems pretty definitive and does not say, unless you are skilled.

Just seems real condescending when you tell someone in one breath that they evidently are not "skilled" enough to use sliding D-Rings ...

With all due respect, I had.... only on the previous page... just explained to them how to hold and manipulate a boltsnap properly. An explanation that was, coincidentally, very well received.

So... based on over a decade full-time sidemount instruction, at all levels from OW to advanced overhead and advanced trimix, and having taught legions of sidemount divers, instructors and instructor trainers..... I felt well qualified to accurately estimate the approximate skill and experience level of the person to whom I was conversing....and used that experience to provide them with what I deemed to be the most pertinent and helpful information relevant to their needs.

Take it as you will but maybe that is one area you can improve upon in how you feed your wisdom to us non-skilled American sidemount divers.

That, on the other hand IS simply a condescending and patronising remark.

For private tuition or consultation, flexible to your preferred delivery style, I accept PayPal, Western Union and Bank Transfer.

My rates are $145 per day for polite, respectful students. There's a supplementary charge of $80 a day for those wishing to be obnoxious, ungrateful and unpleasant.

For private tuition or consultation, flexible to your preferred delivery style, I accept PayPal, Western Union and Bank Transfer. My rates are $145 per day. I have a discretionary 'dick head' supplementary charge... POA.

No worries here bud, you literally could not pay me to take training from you, even if I was getting $500 a day, but thanks for the offer.

No worries here bud, you literally could not pay me to take training from you,

Good, that's a mutual agreement.

Over decades, I've learned to be very selective with whom I'd work with; and the attitude and motivation to learn they'd need to demonstrate.

Nonetheless, I'd advise you seeking some good training and education. It sucks being the noobie, I remember. Focus on being a good diver for now... there'll always be someone new along to take over your role as the forum clown.

Guys, please. I see no point in slamming each other, this thread have been very helpful to me as a new sidemount diver, and i'm sure it will be helpful to some one else as well. Topic of sliding D-ring and Fixed D-ring, for steel and ali are still plausible. You can do both or you can do one or either, according to your comfort level.
For a new sidemount diver, trials and errors are important, I can and will try all reasonable advised as i have been until now and report back the outcome, so we can have an educated discussion.
I have try sliding D-ring and it too loose for steel tank, i will tighten it and try again, if it work great. Move on and see what the pro and con as i continue to dive.
If it not working, i will try fixed D-ring and will used sliding for stages. and see how it go. I will let you guys know.

Thanks Andy for advice as always.

I think it's always fine to start out with whatever came supplied with your rig.

Begin with a standard setup... develop a robust skillset and familiarity... and THEN start to think about upgrades and modifications.

Once your overall sidemount expertise develops, you'll have a better understanding of what's easier and harder for you. You can get onto modifications and refinements much earlier when you get a new rig.

The issue with sliding D-rings is just what I've observed with students in the last few years. Nowadays there's a few rigs, like Apeks, that come with sliding D-rings. So novice sidemount divers are having to deal with sliding D-rings from the get-go, rather than as a later upgrade once they've mastered skills.

As an instructor, I've found, without exception, that novice sidemount students struggled much more with sliding than fixed D-rings.

They're more difficult to manipulate... especially when the cylinder is very buoyant. They sometimes slip out of optimal position, so require more diver awareness in the long run.

In contrast,.fixed D-rings are just 'move and forget'.... and you're moving them just around the point they're perfectly neutral... very easy to handle. Once moved, they aren't going anywhere... so forget them.

Of course... I DO teach and drill my students on boltsnap operation and equipment familiarity. So that removes a any issue of fumbling, frustration etc...

Back
Top Bottom