How to keep warm in a wetsuit in 40 water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am wearing the skin, 3mm vest hood, 7mm jump suit, glove, and 5 mm boot at 43 degree. I am ok except the foot. So, the main concern should be your hand and foot.

bobmaggi:
If you have to dive wet then pouring hot water into your suit, hood, boots and gloves just before you get in the water helps a lot,
I have found the opposite to be true in my experiences. It's "cold" here in CA right now at 50-57 degrees and I'm in 7mm with a hooded vest (love my new hooded vest). When I have tried the warm water in the suit before the dive, I find the cold water to feel that much colder when I jump in and I get colder quicker. Of course, we are talking about 10-17' between my diving and yours.
As soon as I'm out, I jump in the shower, peel down the wet suit, vest and skin and jump into my parka.

One thing that nobody mentioned is that wind effect causing evaporation from the outside of the neoprene during the SIT is quite significant in terms of cooling.
If you can't get out of your wet-suit and properly dried during SIT, try throwing something over the wet-suit to stop the wind drying it. I have a big plastic poncho from Disney.
I've used this a couple of times when it's been too rough to get out of the wet-suit after the dive. It really makes a difference.

its really not that bad. I do two days of two dives in lake erie to between 80 and 130 feet in a 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves and boots and i do fine. sure im a little colder than EVERYONE else on the boat, but hey if you cant afford a drysuit you make due. I dont bother with any of the hot water tricks. just try to get out of the wind, as it was mentioned that is the biggest thing. and I definitely dont take the suit entirely off, too much of a PITA to put back on wet, i usually just pull it down around my waist and throw a fleece on. oh yeah, our typical bottom temps when we dive are between 38 and 45 degrees.

faulknerscuba:
I will be taking a wreck diving class in 2 weeks in the great lakes.
4 dives over 2 days in 40 degree water. Depth will be shallow no more than 60 feet. I have a 7 mm titanium sem dry ,7 mm boots, dry gloves and will put on my 1 mm under the suit. Any tricks to stay warm besides hot water after the dive ?? and should I put the 1mm on after the first dive?
You don't mention a hood but I trust you will be wearing one. If the suit fits properly you shouldn't have too much trouble with the temperature if you do a couple of things.

1.) You must be warm and dry before the dives. If it is cold/cool, windy and or rainy then I would consider postponing to another day.

2.) limit the dives to 20-25 minutes.

3.) as noted by miketsp and some others; after the dives get out of the wind or any breeze. That means in the cabin of the boat if you are boat diving and wrapped up in something that blocks the wind and traps heat in around your body. If you are shore diving then you should have some other shelter to get into i.e. cabin, cottage, tent.

4.) Long surface interval between the first dive and the second dive of the day.

5.) Lots of warm fluids to drink during the surface interval.

6.) It sounds like you are doing two dives per day (4 dives over two days) if thats not the plan then change things to make it the plan.

I will be doing my first OW dive this weekend in the Pacific Northwest- Seattle. So I KNOW its going to be cold. I am getting conflicting reports that if I wear both the 3 mm 'shortie' and the 7 mm that I will have buoyancy problems. (I will b e wearing 30 lbs. weight) Will I?

Or should I go with the 1/2 mm + 7 mm... :lurk_2:
Thanks.

If you insist on diving cold water wet id put as much neoprene as possible on and then worry about the weight. Shorty + 7mm AND id wear the 1/2mm if it'd fit.

Big thick hood and gloves also essential.

String:
If you insist on diving cold water wet id put as much neoprene as possible on and then worry about the weight. Shorty + 7mm AND id wear the 1/2mm if it'd fit.

Big thick hood and gloves also essential.

I've heard conflicting opinions about doubling up on wetsuits, specifically which one to wear under the other. Is it better to wear the thinner one under the thicker one, or on the outside? I have a 7mm and 3mm. The 7mm in a hyperstretch, so it will fit better over the 3mm than vice versa.

mikeloyco:
I've heard conflicting opinions about doubling up on wetsuits, specifically which one to wear under the other. Is it better to wear the thinner one under the thicker one, or on the outside? I have a 7mm and 3mm. The 7mm in a hyperstretch, so it will fit better over the 3mm than vice versa.
Try both.. one way generally fits better than the other way. Depends on the size of the suits.

Does the pleasure outweigh the pain??? 40 degree water tests your metal. It sounds like you need to invest in more scuba equipment if you want comfort too. What's another $400 or $500 to what you already spent on this sport.

Live to scuba, scuba to live!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom