How to keep warm in a wetsuit in 40 water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will be taking a wreck diving class in 2 weeks in the great lakes.
4 dives over 2 days in 40 degree water. Depth will be shallow no more than 60 feet. I have a 7 mm titanium sem dry ,7 mm boots, dry gloves and will put on my 1 mm under the suit. Any tricks to stay warm besides hot water after the dive ?? and should I put the 1mm on after the first dive?

How to keep warm in a wetsuit in 40 water --

well, dive in 72 degree water instead :wink:

sorry... i have no useful info. (this will come as a shock to no one)

I'd recommend an extra layer of neoprene. I don't dive those temperatures unless I'm using a double suit (7 + 7 mm). And then only one dive per day. You're a brave man... or very well insulated... :D

Laurens

If it was me I'd spend the extra money and rent a drysuit.......

Get as warm as possible between dives! I've got a FJ/J 7+7, 6.5mm hood (no bib), 5mm gloves, but only 3mm short booties. Got some concerned looks from the locals when I dove in Lake Michigan with exposed ankles.

Part of getting warm would be to eat/drink something warm/hot during SI (soup, hot chocolate, coffee, ...)

Good Luck!

-Rob

Been there, done that, was happy at the end of the day to have survived with nothing more serious than uncontrollable shivering post-dive... and that was in 42 degree water, with 14mm of neoprene over my torso and thighs.

Might want to consider taking the thing off and drying off in between dives... but brrr. I never want to do that again.

I dive wet in those temp regularly. I go with a 5mm core warmer+ a 7mm hooded semi-dry wetsuit+ a 3mm shorty over that. An ice cap hood is also recomended. Having a second set of gloves to wear for the second dive is always nice. 3 finger gloves instead of 5 finger help the cold. My buddies and I use cheap camping water jugs for between and after dives. We fill them with hot water and keep them hot in an insulated cooler. Pouring them over us as needed. Drinking as much fluid as possible before a dive is the only other recomended solution. Good luck.

You'll need to rewarm between dives - not an easy thing to do. Get out of the wind and inside somewhere warm if you can. If you can get inside, get out of the suit and dry off between dives. Have LOTS of hot water to flush the suit with and LOTS of hot chocolate to drink. Avoid diuretics, over-hydrate, bring plenty of high-energy snacks and don't hesitate to call the dives if you find yourself doing anything near an uncontrollable shiver.

In those temperatures, you should be in a drysuit.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR COTTON PICKING MINDS!!??!! MOve man MOVE! Come to the warm south! Dive the green/blue waters. Enjoy the land of Bikini's and mid eighty waters. The only catch is that you have to conivence two families of non divers to move out of Flordia back to New York!

Dive dry. I taught in Alaska. I would never put anyone, even an OW student, in the ocean in a wetsuit in cold water. It's just not comfortable. Even dry, you get a little chilled. I saw a few people dive wet. One ended up in the hospital and another was blue after the dive. The second ended up with pneumonia. Bad JooJoo.

You can buy a cheap neoprene drysuit for $400 or get a used one for almost nothing. It will definately be better than diving wet.

Cheers,
Jamie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom