How to get the protective seal off goggles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cleaning and defog are 2 different tasks.

Yes, that is true, and I hope I made that clear in my first post. The one you quoted was to answer a different question, as I also wanted to point out that the usefulness of toothpaste in keeping your mask clear of fog does not end with the first time cleaning. I will add a note to my earlier post to avoid further confusion :)

If you use toothpaste you may need to do it 10-15 mins per side. I had an atomic that I burned and used toothpaste times and it wasn't enough. The last time I did it was about 30 mins and not it does not fog.

My dive instructor told me to do it for 3 hours two times. And we use de fog on dives but I understand defog won't work unless the coating is gone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My dive instructor told me to do it for 3 hours two times. And we use de fog on dives but I understand defog won't work unless the coating is gone.

That's absurd. With the proper toothpaste (white, not gel) and the proper technique (apply pressure) you're done in less than five minutes. Seriously. Your instructor is either joking... or he's an idiot. I'd bet you could put a hole in the glass rubbing toothpaste for two 3-hour sessions.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2015 at 12:03 PM ----------

when i used toothpaste i left it all night lol

Toothpaste works by applying pressure and rubbing. Simply leaving it sitting overnight does NOTHING but give your mask minty-fresh breath.

Last edited:
I applied pressure and rubbed... Didn't work... Rubbed and left it... Worked... Maybe it was really just the second rub...

But fire works everytime [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's absurd. With the proper toothpaste (white, not gel) and the proper technique (apply pressure) you're done in less than five minutes. Seriously. Your instructor is either joking... or he's an idiot. I'd bet you could put a hole in the glass rubbing toothpaste for two 3-hour sessions.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2015 at 12:03 PM ----------

Toothpaste works by applying pressure and rubbing. Simply leaving it sitting overnight does NOTHING but give your mask minty-fresh breath.
Ooh no he just told me to let it sit there. No rubbing until I clean it off. He's got to be doing something right. He owns his own large shop and has many rental stuff and does all his goggles the same way. But what do I know I'm just a beginner haha

A bottle of that and a bottle of the SeaDrops gel came with my Datamask. Both work really well for me.

I used this on the first mask I bought. It work well too.

Mask Scrub | 500PSI

I've used this stuff with good results. I bought a bottle with my first mask, and have used it to clean probably 5 or 6 masks now (friends and family). I hadn't heard about using toothpaste at that point.

Back
Top Bottom