How to get cert on 50-100% without doing deco/deep dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So your wanting a safety bottle to use at your safety stop for added insurance against DCI? After accuiring the bottle, reg and rigging it would need 02. If none of your tech buddys can get it filled you might consider taking an emergency responder course with an added 02 provider class which DAN runs Thru PADI and possibly other agencies. That card should enable you to buy 02, its what I have. Of course their are alot of dangers with 02 that should be understood. Breathing a mix too deep is the biggest one and must be realized at all times since brainfarts with 02 at depth has taken alot of divers out..

So the essence of the posts from people are 1. That I should get the test... Lets stop the discussion there and say that it is on my mind. I am very much back and forth between doing and not. Currentlig because:

Grim Sleeper: Even without the PFO (Assuming) this was not a completely unexplained hit. (Although I have done the exact divecombo at least 10 times before..)
There were 2 deep dives. 30ish. With times very close to nodecolimits on both. And I was diving after just beeing off antibiotics for a mere 24hrs.
Because of this, even the HBdoc felt it was ok to delay the test.

So.. it is not like this is a "blond and blueeyed innocent" dcs-hit. There are other explanations.

Stairman: I have no problems getting oxygen or mixes from my friends. The aquisition of it is not the issue. I want to learn how to use it safely, and the tecniques to dive with a stage safely. (i just don't want to do the deep dive...)

Regarding the cost of test and treatment in Norway... It will cost about 50$ in consultationfee, and the fuel back and forth.
(Yes... we pay A LOT of taxes..)

Even if you do get certified for higher than 40% nitrox, you would then have to do all of your oxygen calculations independant of your computer since you would be diving on more than one mix. If I got bent, I would buy the cable for my computer, download the dive profile and have somebody analyze it. If the DCS still remained unexplained, I would quit diving altogether, and I certainly wouldn't venture into staged decompression diving.

Windapp...You are misunderstanding. I am not going into decompression diving. I will still follow no-deco times for air, but I want to be able to safely use a stage of 50-100% (Most likely 50%) to increase offgassing of N2 by decreasing ppN2 in the gas I am breathing.

One of my thoughts is also to use 2 computers. One set on air, and one that will have the settings for the gas in question. That way I can dive the profile of the "aircomputer" with the most conservative bottomtimes, and keep a good eye on O2load on the computer that has the gasmix plugged in. (THis is just an idea, and I welcome any comments on it)

The intention is NOT to gain more bottomtime or go deeper. The point of the question was actually WHERE or HOW I can get the better knowledge of offgassing and tecniques to dive EVEN safer WITHOUT having to do a deep/decodive as both TecRec40, and IANTD Advanced Nitrox seem to demand.

Without wanting to sound harsh, WHY ON EARTH, HAVING BEEN TOLD YOU MIGHT WELL HAVE A PFO THAT MIGHT WELL HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO YOU GETTING BENT, WOULD YOU NOT HAVE A TEST FOR IT?

A Trans-Thoracic Echocardiogram (TTE) is not hugely uncomfortable and is a fairly quick procedure - I speak from experience. I'm told that a Trans-Esophageal Echo (TEE) is a little more invasive, since they have to stick the sensor down your throat, but it gives a more definite answer if a TTE suggests there might be a PFO but isn't definitive.

If you do have a PFO, you are not just risking a skin bend. I know of two people who have ended up with neurological bends as a consequence of a PFO opening up at the wrong moment, both of them actually on fairly shallow dives. Yes, breathing higher fO2 gasses will lessen your N2 loading, but unless you dive on 100% oxygen there is always the risk of inert gas bubbles. I was actually quite disappointed when a TTE showed absolutely no sign of a PFO, as it meant there was no easy explanation for my bend when I got hit. A hole can be fixed. A wheelchair, which is where a neuro or spinal hit can leave you, is for life.

And some physicians will insist on a cardiac catheterization to test for a PFO which is quite a bit more invasive. I've seen patients die on the table during cardiac caths. I'd opt to not do that just to eliminate the small possibility of a PFO.

As for as the OP, you can take TDI's Advanced Nitrox course without going into actual decompression. It will train and certify you to use up to 100% oxygen. I realize IANTD is more popular where you are. IANTD does have stricter standards about depths with their Advanced Nitrox course. Standards state 2 dives must be done to between 30 msw and 42 msw. The best thing to do is find the closest TDI instructor to you and take the standalone Advanced Nitrox course. CMAS may also have something similar. Although, not being a CMAS instructor I don't know for certain, but I do know CMAS is more prevalent in that area of the world.

Do a basic nitrox course and you'll soon discover that, if staying within air no-decompression stop parameters whilst actually breathing nitrox, it is quite difficult to get anywhere near your pulmonary and CNS toxicity limits.

Do a basic nitrox course, get an oxygen stage, never, ever breath it deeper than 6m, stay within air no-stop times - job done.

Do a basic nitrox course, get an oxygen stage, never, ever breath it deeper than 6m, stay within air no-stop times - job done.

May be different in Scotland, but here in the US dive shops like to see a card that "allows" 100% O2. Advanced Nitrox will do that. Regular nitrox will not.

May be different in Scotland, but here in the US dive shops like to see a card that "allows" 100% O2. Advanced Nitrox will do that. Regular nitrox will not.

From the OP's post #22

....I have no problems getting oxygen or mixes from my friends...

Actually, getting any form of nitrox from my LDS is such an all-round pain that I've given up on them (yes, I have all the certs required) and I do my own blending. However, if the OP just wants to run an oxygen stage it should be a simple matter to buy oxygen from a local industrial gas supplier and decant for himself - no blending required.

The issue was not how to get the gas... But how to get the training to properly use the gas...

While you plan your A Nitrox course you can in the mean time add deepstop to your profiles, slow down your ascent rate to 45ft during the shallow part, extend your safety stops to 10min and increase your SI to at least 90-120min. Diving Nitrox is also a great option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom