How to get cert on 50-100% without doing deco/deep dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not read this whole thread but agree that a more conservative profile diveing within your current cert limit is the way to go. Extending additional stops and controling ascent rates. Here is one other thought, if you are after a better understanding and knowledge, what is worth to you in terms of cost? Why not sign up for a class, do the book work, pump the instructor for info add nauseam, and then DO NOT DO the DIVES. You come away hopefully better off and smarter about the risks or benefits of your planned gas usage.
Eric

1.3 Yes.. I am 100% sure the rash did not come from latex.
Diving in Norway is a 100% drysuit environment, and the rash appeared on my chest, across ribs, and upper stomach. It went from looking like bluespots, transfering to red rash. Quite distinct actually. That part of my body was covered in the same merino wool undergarment that I have been using since I started to dive. Over that, I have a Bare undergarment, also been used since the start.
The final point... My wristseals, are latex, and I do not react to them... :wink:

I am already diving with increased length on stops. Keeping stops at 9, 6, 5 and 3m. As soon as my LDS gets their nitroxsystem up and running, I will be switching to Nitrox for all dives. And, I am talking to a local instructor about doing the coursework, at least to get the extra knowledge about gases and physiology.

I think, if I were in your shoes, I'd be trying to control bubble formation. To do that, I'd be interested in reducing nitrogen absorption at depth, where it occurs fairly quickly in the blood. You're already doing that by committing to using the highest percentage Nitrox mix that is safe at a given depth, and diving it as though it were air. I'd also spend some significant scrutiny on my ascent procedures -- ascending rapidly in the deepest portion of the dive, and slowing the ascent through graduated stops in the shallow portion. Ambient pressure is one of the powerful forces limiting bubble formation, so keeping the ambient pressure high once you have passed the offgassing limit will be very useful.

On dives with a very shallow maximum depth, it's dubious whether the use of a high O2 mix will really make a difference. Nitrogen absorption is so small at those depths -- there IS no NDL for a 6 m dive, to all practical purposes.

If you're talking about doing a gas switch to maximize offgassing in-water on a moderate dive (<30m), you most likely won't be affecting bubble formation much, because it will already have occurred before you reach your gas switch depth.

I know I'm not answering your question as to how you can get certified to use hot mixes without doing deep dives, but your question intrigued me from a medical and decompression standpoint, so I spent some time thinking about it, and that's what I came up with. Nitrox for bottom mix and careful ascents should really maximize your safety, without doing gas switches. And it's much more fun to dive without those pesky extra bottles . . .

TSandM, Although you're not adressing the question, you are bringing up an interesting point. The measures I have taken so far is: Nitrox on Air profile. (At least, when the LDS get their press up and running). Using "Deco" ascentprofiles. Ie: Deepstop, and extended stops at 9, 6, Safetystop at 5m and at 3m. Slower ascentrate from 12m up. (Not very difficult as I can usually find a critter to photograph anyways)
Keep a "healthy distance" to the NDlimits on my computer.
And lastly, limit dives to 30m, and no more than 1 per day, and on multidive vacations, add a divefree day.
Listen to my body. Not dive whenever sick, tired, or just not up to it...
Hopefully, this will do the trick.
Have had a long talk with my doc, and was please to see that she wrote (Loosely translated) "She should absolutely continue diving" on my slip :)

Advanced Nitrox is provided by TDI and maybe even IANTD

The measures I have taken so far is: Nitrox on Air profile. (At least, when the LDS get their press up and running). Using "Deco" ascentprofiles. Ie: Deepstop, and extended stops at 9, 6, Safetystop at 5m and at 3m. Slower ascentrate from 12m up.

Good for you. That's pretty much what I've done through several hundred dives since I got bent three years ago, although I generally do two dives a day (minimum surface interval 90 minutes, two hours preferred). And I try to make at least one day in every five a dry day, reducing my maximum depths if I really do have to do more than four days' diving in a row.

You'll probably find the first couple of dives you do a little unnerving, but every dive you do without a recurrence will make you feel more comfortable. I'm back to deep deco diving nowadays, on conservative ascent profiles but no concerns. :)

yes we are... and these are all measures already taken...

However... 6 pages in, and still, no real answer to the question. :)
(although, I love the discussion on ascentrates, bubbleformation and so on....)

To refrase it... If you were interested in doing deco dives (Forgetting the PFO for a moment) to get longer bottomtimes at 25-30m, but not interested in going deeper... How could you get certs for other gases than <40% Nitrox?

Or is >40% ONLY meant for those going 35+?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom