Question How to deal with scuba withdrawal? Scuba-media tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steinbil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Mods, I apologize if this is not the right forum for a post of this nature. Couldn’t find the perfect fit. Move if you have to…

Context: I became a father 2 weeks ago, and hence I haven‘t splashed in what seems like ages (surface interval: 44 days and counting - the longest since i started diving in September of 2021). While I am overjoyed to have a son, it might be a little while before I can blow bubbles again, so now I’m looking for ways to alleviate the symptoms of scuba withdrawal.

What do you do to get your scuba fix when you can’t splash? Any good movies, shows, documentaries or books to recommend?

I have read:
- Beginning with the End in Mind
- Fundamentals of Better Diving
- Getting clear on the basics: The fundamentals of technical diving

I have seen:
- The Rescue
- Last Breath
- Diving into the Unknown
- My Octopus Teacher
- Le Grand Bleu
- The Odyssey
- Sanctum (don’t get me started…)
- Men of honour
- Dave not coming back

On my list to watch:
- Le monde du silence

I've been going down the youtube rabbit hole... haven't found any channels that have really entertained me in a big way yet, but lots of decent information out there...and most of it's in small <10 minute or so bites so you can catch a video between diaper changes! Lots of "new diver" training and intro. type presentations... people doing nice video essays on all sorts of topics related to diving and equipment. I used to watch cruising and sailing channels and there was a guy...an aussie I think... that did a lot of skin diving spear fishing with a gopro.... he was funny and that was entertaining...so there's stuff like that too. I imagine there a lot of trip report videos out there too, but I haven't found any yet.

congrats!!

Don't do it like I did!
I had been stranded dry for only a few years.....maybe 3-5 years....got married and other life distractions.

Had talked my wife into getting certified. I had my regulators serviced and was ready to do some diving with her

She sat through all the classes and was working through the pool dives..... when she found out that she was pregnant with our 1st. So there ended her classes!
That baby is now 17 and has two little sisters
and I am no scheming to get the four of them certified so I can have some dive buddies!

First, congratulations! My diving has taken a big hit since my daughter was born a little over 3 years ago, I have gone inactive as an instructor but I was able to squeezing in CCR mod 1 certification.

Now that she is 3, I'm able to dive more.

There are lots of books you can still read. When I'm home tonight I'll see what my favorites are on my bookshelf that you haven't already read.

Everything is relative.
My last dry spell ended this past Saturday. 4 weeks (29 days to be precise) the local seas were too rough to go out in our small boat.

I was talking to a friend and explaining how happy I was to go out after suck a ridiculous amount of time dry. I guess I was expecting some sympathy but what i got was a dirty look. The friend in question has been dry for over 2 years, i had no words.

Your 44 days sound like a nightmare for me, but for others, it may be less than their average surface interval.

I read and post here for my scuba fix. I've found some enjoyable rabbit holes to go down, especially related to regulator history, functioning, and repair.

Going through the same thing….last dive was 14 December…next dive will be the very beginning of Feb…at least it’ll be off Ambergris Caye, Belize.

Same here. Did some dives in the Bahamas in December. Next trip is in April in Curaçao. I’ve been going over my rig looking to streamline as much as I could. I can’t stop buying gear. Ugh…

Hit the gym.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom