How to categorize beginner, intermediate, advance diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueeyes_austin:
I have to say that I disagree with the initial posts on this thread. If I could only choose one data point in evaluating the skill level of a diver before diving with them, it would be the number of logged dives they have completed. I'd certainly assume that an open water diver with 1000+ dives is a better diver than a newly minted DM with 80! Or a diver who has 150 logged dives to be a better diver than an "advanced" card holder with 20. Now, experience may show these assumptions to be wrong from time to time...but the experience is the way to bet in the absence of additional information.
I understand why you think this way. When you go out on to a course, like say DIRF,with people who are trimix certified to teach - and they still bicycle kick... well you get the idea. I promise your perspective will change.
I cannot answer this initial question either because of all the variables. :eyebrow:

mossym:
100 dives in less than 50 ft of crystal blue water, no weights, shorty, 200ft of viz..

50 dives in 40F water, less than 10ft of viz, thick wetsuit or drysuit, 30lbs of weight,

who's the better diver?

LOL!! See what I mean by there being so many variables?

I think we have all seen plenty of divers with a lot of logged dives that we wouldn't called advanced. Then comes along someone that has only 25 dives and is a natural at it. So far this year I have well over 100 dives in cold water and while I meet the criteria of this thread, in my own mind, I'm not sure that I would classify myself as an advanced diver.

Just because someone lookes like they took out a second mortage to get their dive gear doesn't mean that they are advanced either.

mrobinson:
LOL!! See what I mean by there being so many variables?

my point exactly. number of dives? only the beginning of the story, i've dove with people with hundreds of dives who look like they are fresh out of ow, and then others are rock solid in the water after 20..go figure

OE2X:
I think we have all seen plenty of divers with a lot of logged dives that we wouldn't called advanced. Then comes along someone that has only 25 dives and is a natural at it. So far this year I have well over 100 dives in cold water and while I meet the criteria of this thread, in my own mind, I'm not sure that I would classify myself as an advanced diver.

Just because someone lookes like they took out a second mortage to get their dive gear doesn't mean that they are advanced either.

100 already? damn, my goal was 100 for the year!!

mossym:
100 already? damn, my goal was 100 for the year!!

OE2X is fortunate to live in an area where we can go diving on a whim ... there are multiple dive sites within easy driving distance to where he lives (same here). He also has buddies who are diving maniacs, and who'll call him up in the middle of the day and say "let's go diving this afternoon".

Truth to tell, he's a bit of a slacker ... I've got almost 150 dives so far this year, and both of us know people who dive more often than that ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

mossym:
if Monterey was just a bit closer...1 weekday trip is all i can do,

I feel your pain ... if I'm out of the water more than a couple days at a time, I get cranky ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I feel your pain ... if I'm out of the water more than a couple days at a time, I get cranky ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

that must be nice...deep deep sigh...

What is an "experienced" or "advanced" diver? Depends on the diving environment, obviously. For warm, tropical water (the only kind I know), here is my proposed examination for the Advanced Tropical Recreational Diver (ATRD) certification:

Prerequisites:

Rescue Diver Certification
Nitrox Certification
at least 200 logged dives, of which:
at least 20 must have been within the last year
at least 10 must have at night
at least 10 must have been below 100 feet

Knowledge Development:

Pass the PADI Divemaster exams on:
Physics
Physiology
Equipment
Skills & Environment

In-Water Skills:

Perform satisfactorily:
all OWD skills
all hand signals
tired diver tow (100 yds.)
rescue of an unreponsive diver at depth, including water exit, CPR &
emergency O2
nitrox gas analysis
buddy breathing
air depletion exercise
exchange all gear (except weights) with a buddy at depth
** PADI peak performance buoyancy exercises
** PADI underwater navigation exercises
** swim underwater 100' without mask
** hover motionless (+/- 1 foot) in open water at 15' for 5 minutes
helicopter turn
frog kick
swimming backwards

skills marked ** must also be performed at night with light off

The ATRD card would have this printed on the back: "This certification was earned in warm, tropical water under standard recreational diving conditions; it is not valid for any other diving environment."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom