How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh and how could I forget? As PADI has been so successful to convince divers that "PADI" is the certification, our marketing slogan will be "Come find your ARSE here."

I'm going to become rich!

Respect :eek:

Oh ****!

I have no role in dive certifications, though I did create the Finnish certification system for cavers and I started issuing caving certificates. Bootstrapped it all. Yeah, I may be ****, but I am better than the students :eek: Gotta start somewhere. So, who certified the first certifier? Nobody! Or myself! But a relevant question is: what do the certificates say? Is it all true?

Our certificates are nothing but signed letters telling ẃhat the course comprised and what people were taught.

I had to get a bunch of certifications to attend three relevant courses. You cannot become a certified cave diver before getting a rescue diver cert (although rescuing an unconscious person from a cave is more like a fairy tale). Maybe this has something to do with the average skill set of PADI certified divers as opposed to BSAC/CMAS/TheOldSystems?
Cave diving, rebreathers, mixed gasses, highly technical diving of any sort require training, without doubt. Possibly an exam as well. Ordinary sport diving not so much, though I must admit that many of the newly and not so newly certified divers I encounter on head boats are sadly deficient in skills and often still afraid of the water. Some can't even set up their own equipment properly, and are too afraid to dive without a divemaster or instructor. People deficient in water skills have no business diving with scuba. 20 years old kids who breezed through three or four short courses have no business being instructors. I remember one of these 'instructor' dudes on a head boat in Florida who had been diving less than two years. Cards are meaningless. Training, often self-training, is not. If you can't comfortably plan and execute your own solo dives at moderate depths, handle your gear with skill and assurance, and feel absolutely at ease in the water you should not have even a basic certification.

@Subcooled

When a NAUI certified friend of mine visited his cousin in Brazil who was a PADI DM, his cousin said "Is NAUI one of those American dive agencies?"

That just blew my mind.
Well, historically, ...
National Association
founded in the U.S.A.

American includes Mexican, Guatemalan, Chilean, ...

Well, historically, ...
National Association
founded in the U.S.A.

American includes Mexican, Guatemalan, Chilean, ...
In modern English, usually American, often more than not, refers to the United States, not the continent, but that would depend of the context.

In modern English, usually American, often more than not, refers to the United States, not the continent, but that would depend of the context.
Say that to a mexican :D

South American, Middle-American & West-Indian, and finally North American = American & Canadian?
Thank God mathematics is not based on natural languages.

Say that to a mexican :D

South American, Middle-American & West-Indian, and finally North American = American & Canadian?
Thank God mathematics is not based on natural languages.
Well I am pretty sure English is not the national language of Mexico.

But does it matter? That’s how it is used and the meaning of words evolve over time …

Even Wikipedia has an article to clarify it:

I have no bone in this, I am French :)

Well I am pretty sure English is not the national language of Mexico.

But does it matter? That’s how it is used and the meaning of words evolve over time …

Even Wikipedia has an article to clarify it:

I have no bone in this, I am French :)

Like the meaning of 'advanced'
Yeh, I remember when NAUI 'Advanced' and was 8 dives and the third rung in the training regimine, i.e. OW1, OW2 then Advanced. It was a 13 week course and PADI and all the others were 5 dives from OW. To stay competitive they changed it to Master Diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom