How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For liability, it seems like an absolutely massive stretch to make a customer responsible for essentially baby-sitting another customer or employee. Their certification level is absolutely irrelevant. Even rescue-diver cert is really a courtesy to other divers, and I'd probably prefer to just skip that cert if it did cause a notable increase in liability.

Absolbloodyutely

A friend of mine was asked to buddy with another diver a few weeks ago. He is an instructor and was planning a solo dive. He agreed provided that he did not have to pay for the boat trip.

If he's not diving with one of his friends then like me, he dives solo and is appropriately prepared for it.

There was a time I just had to say "I dive in New England year round" and that was enough. Now I say AOW +2000 dives.

I have never been asked my highest certification level. I usually present my AOW plus Nitrox cards and now instead my SDI Advanced Solo card instead. I am not a card collector and when I was in that more adventurous stage of life all of these fancy boutique specialty course cards did not exist nor did "bereavers" and tri-mix. I guess I missed out, might be a good thing. The card I wish I had would be the "Master of School of Hard Knocks" dive card. Who gives that one out? N

The last I heard, Master of Hard Knocks is only awarded posthumously. You just haven't screwed up enough to earn it.

Or learned the lessons well!

Maybe it's more like Master of Knocks..

I was always told,
An expert is someone who knows how much he can get away with...

Meaning that an amateur can do the same, better or just as good,
because he knows he doesn't know.
And will be more careful, and double check, research, etc

The last I heard, Master of Hard Knocks is only awarded posthumously. You just haven't screwed up enough to earn it.

A month ago, give or take, I came about as close as one can come to be awarded such a card posthumously!

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom