How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say that, generally, the person asking to see your card will have this hierarchy in mind:

OW
AOW
Nitrox
Deep
Rescue
Master Diver
Dive Master
OW Instructor

Note, that isn't necessarily the actual sequence for a lot of agencies, but that seems to be the one that has permeated the industry at large.
... and where would you rank the SDI Solo and PADI Self Reliant certs ?

Or even the basic ANDP (advanced nitrox and decompression procedures) let alone trimix, full cave, etc. Mentioned those as they require superior in water skills.

I was really proud of getting my SDI Solo Diver certification. Was a brilliant workshop too being blindfolded and tied up. Loved it! To get that ticket from that instructor meant the recovery and problem solving skills passed muster.

Have always called the Solo certificate a "workshop" not course as you’re not learning anything new, you’re bringing your own skills to a grilling test. For example shutdowns where you’re being gas gunned. Whilst blindfolded. And rope mysteriously dropped upon you. With one fin. Such fun!

and the blindfolded DSMB ascent too — can’t see your computer yet he demanded a 3 min safet/deco stop at 6m/20'.

Have always called the Solo certificate a "workshop" not course as you’re not learning anything new, you’re bringing your own skills to a grilling test. For example shutdowns where you’re being gas gunned. Whilst blindfolded. And rope mysteriously dropped upon you. With one fin. Such fun!

and the blindfolded DSMB ascent too — can’t see your computer yet he demanded a 3 min safet/deco stop at 6m/20'.

i have an SDI solo cert, it was rigorous but that was not done, nor mentioned in the standards anywhere. The only way I can think to accomplish that is if you have pre-marked your reel/spool line with knots to indicate depths/distances. Is that how you did it?

My instructor did not drop any entanglements on me per say, but had situational cards that told me what stress factor I was undergoing. I had to respond accordingly ... gaa turn-offs were fair game
i have an SDI solo cert, it was rigorous but that was not done, nor mentioned in the standards anywhere. The only way I can think to accomplish that is if you have pre-marked your reel/spool line with knots to indicate depths/distances. Is that how you did it?
There was emphasis on timing and kick cycles ... time spent with no mask on, or a flooded mask. Known dive sites.

I knew we were at 9m/30' so it was relatively simple to throw up the SMB, deal with yet another entanglement :) and then guess how many turns on the spool (yep, not reel) it needed to get to the stop. It felt about right with the drysuit and wing dump, was a little heavy on the line, then counted a bit whilst reflecting on the fun we'd just had (BTW was the only person, the other had dropped out due to illness).

I did the Solo certification a month or so after I’d finished my normoxic trimix OC course, so was pretty dived up and practised with the shutdowns, etc.

To be clear, I am not ranking them, just expressing the "structure" that many dive op staff (who may not even be divers) have built up in their heads. Solo, I think, would be somewhere between Rescue and DM in that hierarchy, if they even know what it is. Thats just a WAG, by the way, not even a SWAG.

Personally, depending on agency and who conducted it, I would put Solo somewhere close to Intro to Tech on a hierarchy level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom