How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... and where would you rank the SDI Solo and PADI Self Reliant certs ?
Certainly in the UK, the SDI Solo Diver is the only one accepted for diving in one of our lakes (Wraysbury) -- all others are solo hostile. They will not accept the PADI self-reliant diver certification.

Have never been asked for a certification for solo diving off a boat -- have dived off of many and am nearly always solo even if diving with someone (who will also be diving solo).

To the point: the Solo + Self Reliant certifications are a very challenging and a significant achievement for a recreational diver. This is much less so for technical divers who are, or damn well should be, well versed in redundancy, shutdowns and switching gas, plus planning, core skills, monitoring, etc.

The certifications are a demonstration that the diver has the right solo attitude and can handle multiple failures with redundant kit.

Most people should aim to do those workshop/courses if only to be more self reliant. Buddies are all well and good, but they will not always be around when you need them especially in poorer conditions; visibility, currents, in and around wrecks.

Wonder is there a vintage equipment card???
Padi must have something
I only accept vintage equipment certifications issued before 31st of December, 1949.
The more recent ones are mostly not issued by qualified people.

I won't speak about what PADI is or is not here.
That is very wise.
We cannot say anything about any dive certification organization, unless we want opposition. And imagine the fight! Would it benefit anybody?

In modern English, usually American, often more than not, refers to the United States, not the continent, but that would depend of the context.
My Mexican friend disagrees with that.

My Mexican friend disagrees with that.
Ah well, I wish a lot of things … does not mean they will happen 😂

Sorry for your friend, hope he can convince the majority of people to change the usage of this word 😂

Shouldn't a deep diver be self reliant, by definition?
A rescue diver ever more so! How can you rescue, if you rely on your buddy?
I think you are being cheeky but the self reliant is teaching people to have an approach to rely less on your buddies and/or dive solo, this is a bit orthogonal to the other certs mentioned above.

I think you are being cheeky but the self reliant is teaching people to have an approach to rely less on your buddies and/or dive solo, this is a bit orthogonal to the other certs mentioned above.
I haven't studied this very problem thoroughly, so you might be correct.
... about the orthogonality

I still believe that self reliance is required for deep dives. Very few dive buddies are actually trusthworthy.

That is very wise.
We cannot say anything about any dive certification organization, unless we want opposition. And imagine the fight! Would it benefit anybody?
There may be no ceiling, on the potential quality of training by any individual in any organization. However, it's worth considering whether there is a floor...

Shouldn't a deep diver be self reliant, by definition?
A rescue diver ever more so! How can you rescue, if you rely on your buddy?
IMO, every responsible diver, dives as if they're 100.0% responsible for their own safety, and never rely on a buddy. The dive buddy is only an additional (3rd) redundancy. If both buddies have an incident at the same time, you're both screwed. I often solo-dive, but in the rare cases I have a dive-buddy, they're not exactly reliable and visibility often makes dive-buddies almost impossible.

I haven't done any rescue-course yet, but it would seem you need more redundancy yourself, to effectively rescue another diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom