How tight should the neckseal on a drysuit be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... so I was thinking of trimming one off ...
2 inches is getting pretty close to optimum size. .
Are you wearing the seal straight up, or tucked down inside the suit?
The "proper" way to wear it is tucked down, but that depends on what works best for you.
Depending on your build, you may find it a whole lot more comfy with it tucked down.
Be sure to give it a half-dozen quick yanks before cramming it over your head.

Bob3 once bubbled...
2 inches is getting pretty close to optimum size. .
Are you wearing the seal straight up, or tucked down inside the suit?
The "proper" way to wear it is tucked down, but that depends on what works best for you.
Depending on your build, you may find it a whole lot more comfy with it tucked down.
Be sure to give it a half-dozen quick yanks before cramming it over your head.

Thanks Bob,

What do you mean by tucked down? Do you mean basically take the edge, and fold it on the outside? Wouldn't that make it even tighter, as now there will be another layer of latex?

Darryl

What do you mean by tucked down?
Fold the neck seal so it's inside the suit, cut edge pointing down towards the feet.
Wearing it that way is pretty much a necessity with neoprene, but just another option with latex. Viking recommends wearing them that way, but I say try it both ways as one will work better than the other, depending on the way a person is built.
I wear all mine tucked down in, I don't have much of a neck.:wink:

Daryll,

If you are going to cut the seal, try to find a jar or pail that you can slip the seal over and trim it while it is stretched over the jar or pail. Also use a new blade on an exacto knife, I have heard that if the edge is a little rough it can be uncomfortable.

It brings to mind my carpentry experience: I cut and I cut and its still too short. Remember you are on a one way street.

Also, I screwed up on the price for a hydro and vis. it is $39.00 incld fill. The price I quoted included O2 cleaning as well.

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...
Daryll,

If you are going to cut the seal, try to find a jar or pail that you can slip the seal over and trim it while it is stretched over the jar or pail. Also use a new blade on an exacto knife, I have heard that if the edge is a little rough it can be uncomfortable.

It brings to mind my carpentry experience: I cut and I cut and its still too short. Remember you are on a one way street.

Also, I screwed up on the price for a hydro and vis. it is $39.00 incld fill. The price I quoted included O2 cleaning as well.

Yup,
I'm paranoid about cutting AT ALL. I can just see me slipping and slicing the side. I'm actually thinking of getting an LDS to do it. They should have more experience than me.

Darryl

That might be a wise choice to have the LDS do it. They screw up it's thier nickle.

If you did do it yourself I bet an AL80 would be a good size to stretch the neck seal over.

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...
That might be a wise choice to have the LDS do it. They screw up it's thier nickle.

If you did do it yourself I bet an AL80 would be a good size to stretch the neck seal over.

LOL - I hope my necks not the size of an AL80 :) .

That being said, doing it that way DOES sound easy - the latex isn't going to move so it should be simple.

Darryl

Bob3 once bubbled...
Wearing it that way is pretty much a necessity with neoprene, but just another option with latex. Viking recommends wearing them that way, but I say try it both ways as one will work better than the other, depending on the way a person is built.

If I do that with latex, I end up with a flooded suit. You might want to try it in a pool first before exploring cold water. 80 degree water hurts less than 40 degrees when it's trickling down your neck.

Soggy once bubbled...

If I do that with latex, I end up with a flooded suit. You might want to try it in a pool first before exploring cold water. 80 degree water hurts less than 40 degrees when it's trickling down your neck.
Yeah, since this is my first drysuit, it will be multiple dives in the pool.

Might go diving in the pool with Pez as well, so he can give me pointers :wink:

Darryl

Back
Top Bottom