How thick to buy a wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thermalution looks like a cool product! I didn't know there was a heating option for under wetsuits.

Keep in mind the potential risks of heating oneself at depth.

For the OP, I was going to suggest buying a 3 mm and then something like a Sharkskin vest (maybe hooded?) for an under layer when needed (like towards the end of a trip when you tend to get colder).

I have been a diver for 50 years, I've only dove warm water sites and I can do 20 dives at 76-78 degree water with no problems. I'm heavy. I see divers wearing wet suits in water over 80 degrees and I have no need of a suit above that. I sometimes wear a fleece vest. However this has kept me from cold water sites like Cocos or Socorro. So my question is: If I bought one wet suit, would you recommend a 3 mm or a 5 mm? Thanks.

You will be very comfortable with a 5 mil in socorro, in fact, perfect.

For most of my warm water dives, I roll with a 3/2 full which serves me well since I don't have much blubber on me. The only time that is too warm is when I do shore-dives from San Carlos. But most other tropical locations the 3/2 works great and is what I use about 95% of the time.

Thermulation use a heated flexible wire in back (sometimes front as well) to warm the core where blood flows to the rest of the body. They have 3 settings which can be adjusted during the dive. I have one as do many of my dive buddies, we dive in 45 degree water.

In pools and water between 75-80' I usually use my 3 mm wetsuit. This keeps me warm even if I am not moving much.

Thermulation use a heated flexible wire in back (sometimes front as well) to warm the core where blood flows to the rest of the body. They have 3 settings which can be adjusted during the dive. I have one as do many of my dive buddies, we dive in 45 degree water.
which one do you have? blue grade, or compact dive series? Looks cool!

which one do you have? blue grade, or compact dive series? Looks cool!
I have the yellow, works great.......read the specs and see which one works for you. Best advice I have is if you get one, when disconnecting the plugs pull straight and don’t wiggle. They can be temperamental.

These days I dive in warm water, usually 80+ at the surface, sometimes with thermoclines around 50-70' & maybe again around 100', but sometimes in the summer, no thermocline at all. In 84 degree water, I am miserably overheated in a 2mm full suit, but the area I dive is known for stinging things on the bottom, so I want full coverage. I currently dive with a full skin & a 2mm front zip vest. For me, front zip is the only way to go. It allows me to open up & let some water in when I get overheated.

for me, the difference between a dive suit & a surf suit was always the zipper location. Surf suits have a zipper on the back, so that you can lay comfortably on your belly for a long time. Scuba suits (at least the ones for warm water) have the zipper in the front, so that you can vent excess heat when needed. When diving in cold water, obviously things are a bit different. For some strange reason, the scuba shops around me only seem to carry back zip suits. It drives me nuts that I see this in shops that deal in complex tech diving systems.

These days I dive in warm water, usually 80+ at the surface, sometimes with thermoclines around 50-70' & maybe again around 100', but sometimes in the summer, no thermocline at all. In 84 degree water, I am miserably overheated in a 2mm full suit, but the area I dive is known for stinging things on the bottom, so I want full coverage. I currently dive with a full skin & a 2mm front zip vest. For me, front zip is the only way to go. It allows me to open up & let some water in when I get overheated.

for me, the difference between a dive suit & a surf suit was always the zipper location. Surf suits have a zipper on the back, so that you can lay comfortably on your belly for a long time. Scuba suits (at least the ones for warm water) have the zipper in the front, so that you can vent excess heat when needed. When diving in cold water, obviously things are a bit different. For some strange reason, the scuba shops around me only seem to carry back zip suits. It drives me nuts that I see this in shops that deal in complex tech diving systems.
"miserably overheated" in a 2 mm? You must certainly be in an extreme minority. for me, 84 is perfect 3 mm temp. I've done 84 in a skin in Thailand which was fine, but a few times we got hit with the "green monster" and that was uncomfortably cold.

It was 85 degrees in Sipadan last I was there, and I wore my 3 mil over my 1 mil skin. Was diving with a woman who lives in Bonaire, who was diving in a 7 mil. I can't imagine 2 mm is enough neoprene to actually hold in any heat, unless you're nuclear powered...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom