How thick to buy a wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been a diver for 50 years, I've only dove warm water sites and I can do 20 dives at 76-78 degree water with no problems. I'm heavy. I see divers wearing wet suits in water over 80 degrees and I have no need of a suit above that. I sometimes wear a fleece vest. However this has kept me from cold water sites like Cocos or Socorro. So my question is: If I bought one wet suit, would you recommend a 3 mm or a 5 mm? Thanks.

The two constants in my diving life have been “The more dives I do in a day or week the colder I get.” and for the past few years “The older I get, the colder I get.” Since being cold is a very individual thing, I would rent a 5mm suit and find some cold water to play in. Judging from your location, that shouldn’t be too hard. :) Might be a bit of extra work, but a trip to the Cocos would be so worth it.

For Cocos, 5mm for sure. You'll appreciate it when you swim into a thermocline.

Reactions: Dan
For me, an extra 2mm of wetsuit thickness only seems to require about 2 extra pounds of lead. I've never been too hot underwater, but I have been too cold, and it's not fun. I'm generally in favor of erring on the side of more.

you may be able to minimize the amount of wet suit by using a lavacore when it gets colder under the wet suit. then you can go with a 2 mm in warm water and both when it gets a bit cooler.

I am close to 70 and have been certified since 1985. Have gone from skin to shorty to 2mm two piece to my current setup.

I moved from a 3mm full to a 5mm full after my rehab from sciatica, to give my lower back and diminished left leg more support.

For me, the additional thickness is a Godsend, and the additional warmth, if too much, is just a neck or wrist seal tug away.

It's just like what they tell you when you are skiing. When you are on the slopes, you can always open up to cool, you can't put more on to get warm.

For Cocos and Socorro I’d recommend a 5mm. Especially for Cocos, since you don’t swim a lot. When you’re hunkered down behind the rocks waiting for the hammerheads you don’t want to be shivering!

Everyone is different, I think it is most important to know yourself.

I was shivering in 82 degree pool water at the start of my OW certification. The instructor made me get out of the pool. My lips were blue and I couldn't stop shivering. I have always been this way around water.

I have minimal body fat and a 3mm works great for me in that temp.

3 mil full suit and a heated vest (thermulation), so adjustable heat when required.

3 mil full suit and a heated vest (thermulation), so adjustable heat when required.

Thanks, can you tell me more about the Thermulation product. The web site is a bit scant on how it works. Does it just heat the back between the scapulas? Does the warmth circulate to other parts of the body? Im wondering how a heating pad on upper back can make a difference in the arms and front. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom