How thick is your wetsuit? (An unofficial poll)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a 7mm henderson hyperstretch 2 piece with 7mm gloves,hoo, and boots. I dive in that all year round in minnesota lakes (ie lows around 36 degrees f)

I have a 7mm full body and a 7mm vest with 7mm hood, 5mm gloves and boots. I also have a 4mm drysuit.

I have used the wet suit in temps as low as 40F. I have never been cold in my wet suit, but I bought the dry for diving when it is cold out of the water. Stripping down to my skivies in the snow is not my idea of a good time.

>80° = swimsuit
70° - 79° = 3/2 mm
65° - 69° = 7 mm
< 64° = 7 mm with hood

I am very cold natured so I wear a 3mm Henderson gold for all tropical dives w/ Henderson tropical gloves, boots but no hood, . We recently dove the cenotes in Mexico (72 degrees) so I wore my 5mm Henderson hyperstretch w/ 5mm Henderson hyperstretch hood, boots, they would not allow you to wear gloves.

I dive a 7mm henderson hyperstretch 2 piece with 7mm gloves,hoo, and boots. I dive in that all year round in minnesota lakes (ie lows around 36 degrees f)

I just got a 6.5 mm farmer john (great deal, couldn't pass on it) for diving the local lake and some SoCal dives in the winter which gets to about 44 F. I was hoping that it wouldn't be overkill.

Used to dive a 7mil farmer john 2 piece. Wore that down to 55 degrees or so, but being as skinny as I was I'd get cold Fast!!!!!!!!
Switched to a dry suit & I'll never go back to wet.

My combination is 7mm head, torso 13mm, groin 10mm, extremeties 7mm, feet 6mm, hands 4mm. This is a three piece combo not including the booties/gloves from Pinnacles, Merino linning on everything.

I dove Monterey Break water at 50-54 degrees F very comfortable for about 30 minutes. The only thing that got cold were my hands. I need to up the mm in the hands just an extra mm or so should do it.

I felt nice and warm in all other areas with just a hint of cool in my arms and legs that had only 7mm protection.

MG

7mm GN-231N, skin-2-sides, attached hood, farmer johns, no zippers. 7mm 3 finger mitts. 7mm booties.

I've used it in winter water in Long Island Sound, Block Island Sound, Cape Cod Bay, the Gulf of Maine, in Iceland, in Spitzvbergen, off Jan Mayen Island, an on the Northern California Coast.

I dive a 7mm Pinnacle Artic. 6mm Bare Polar boots

Above about 65°F I'll wear with that a lose cap, and bricklayers gloves... They don't provide any isolation but are very very strong... needed when dive shores literally covered with sharp Japanese Oysters. A normal pair of 5mm neoprene gloves I would wear out in about 2 months.

Winterdiving will be the same but augmented by

Hooded vest 5mm
6 mm 3 finger gloves
Neoprene socks

With this on I'll be able to dive down to 40°F

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom