How thick for Central Texas winter diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirthead

Contributor
Reaction score
I am a newbie and need your expert advice. I have a 3/2 Bare full wetsuit and a 2.5mil shortie. I want to dive all winter in Central Texas, with a trip to Valhalla in October. The water temp dips to about 55° in winter here, and I think the temp at Valhalla is close to that as well. My lds doesn't carry suits thicker than 3 mil, and advised me to wear my shortie over my 3/2 fullsuit for cold water. That would give me 5.5 mils core body coverage. Is that going to be enough for 55° water??? In 74° water, I was a little chilled with just my 3/2 fullsuit. I am leaning towards calling Larry @ Scubatoys and getting a 7mil suit of some sort (Bare or Oceanic) and a hood, but wanted to get your opinions first.

dirthead:
My lds doesn't carry suits thicker than 3 mil, and advised me to wear my shortie over my 3/2 fullsuit for cold water. That would give me 5.5 mils core body coverage. Is that going to be enough for 55° water??? QUOTE]

In short, nope. You will be better of with a 7 mm wet, or maybe a 5-7 mm semi. Then keep you thin suit for those hot summer days :)

Hi and welcome. I live in Arlington Tx and I use a 7mm Bare Artic during the winter months. I've been in water as cold as 45 degrees with it and though I got chilled after about 20-25 minutes it wasn't unbearable. I wear it at CSSP during the winter where the water temp is usually around 50 and have been quite comfortable. I have two wetsuits, a 3mm and the 7mm and I dive year round with them.

Ide suggest a 7mm full suit and a vest of some sort even over that for 55 winter diving. You have to take in consideration heat lost on the surface before and after the dive.

You are going to be cold. I wear a 5mm jump suit with 3mm shorty and add a chemical heater (about $15 each) for 60ish waters. I would not buy a 7mm for an occasional cold dive.

I dived Valhalla in January, you're going to get chilled. 7 mm minimum, I'd probably wear a 5 mm vest for multiple dives on top, plus make sure you have a hood. You probably won't be coming back up to ground level between dives (it's a long way) and because you're underground, you won't be able to get warm very easily, so take something to keep you warm between dives.

But it's a dive worth doing - not that much to see, but the environment and history is pretty cool.

Water temp at Valhalla is around 60 degrees year round. It is an altitude dive, so plan accordingly. They only allow groups in (in fact you have to lease the site from them for the weekend), no individual divers, so I'm assuming you have a trip booked through your LDS or other group.

A trip report can be found here http://www.chumclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117&highlight=valhalla

outback Water temp at Valhalla is around 60 degrees year round. It is an altitude dive:
http://www.chumclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117&highlight=valhalla[/url]

My LDS is planning a trip to do certs for AOW, deep, etc. The key will be if enough people sign up to go. I will be doing my deep dive and peak bouyancy for AOW. I sent Larry @ ScubaToys an email about a few wetsuits, so I will probably go ahead an get a 7 mil and a hood. I guess I can always put my 2.5 mil shortie over the top, or underneath for a little extra warmth.

That's our summer water, on a good day and a shallow dive!

Go with a 7mm full suit and I'd suggest something like a 3/5 hooded vest. I've been OK in that down to 47F but it's very fine in the 50s.

The hooded vest will give you a no gap hood interface and it will shunt any neck and zipper seepage. If it's warm mid seaason switch down to a beanie.

Pete

dirthead:
I guess I can always put my 2.5 mil shortie over the top, or underneath for a little extra warmth.

That should work for you. If your LDS can't get enough sign ups, PM me - my group will probably go up there in the winter to dive it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom