How the hell does this happen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect they must factor these sorts of things into the overall picture in order to survive. If it means raising rates based on supply and demand, for example, then so be it. I can still get daily car rentals for around $25 CAD, taxes included, more often than not.

Not around here. Last time I went to FL they wanted 1500 for 10 days. I ubered

Tap = contactless for the Europeans
We have contactless. Usually done directly with the smartphone, the plastic card is considered quite obsolete here. However also the plastic card is contactless, the magnetic band was unsafe.
But if two-factor-authentication is enabled (as here is mandatory, in practice) you still have to authorise the transaction with your texted auth number, or with your fingerprint on your smartphone...
My knowledge is that in the US systems similar to our Secure-3D two-factor-authentication do exist.
For example, see here the Safekey 2.20 feature for AMEX: SafeKey
VISA has a similar scheme: Secure Online Shopping
Of course it appears that most people are not using it, or perhaps they do not even know of its existence, but this does not mean that it is not possible to enable it.

I use ApplePay a ton. I use it off my Apple Watch, not my iPhone. Sounds like that’s pretty close to what you’re referring to.

I use ApplePay a ton. I use it off my Apple Watch, not my iPhone. Sounds like that’s pretty close to what you’re referring to.
Exactly. These payment systems all use some sort of two-factor authentication. The second factor is mostly biometric when using electronic devices.

This was not a company it was a person.

And yes even on the rental companies website the card and matching license must be presented at time of pickup.
You are assuming they actually wanted to pick it up. They probably made a reservation, charged the stolen card. Call back the next day and as for a refund but "put it on a different card" pocket the money. Also would not be surprised if this was an employee theft.

I am quite sure that VISA and AMEX have two-factors-authentication operational also in US. They are both US-based companies, it would make no sense that they set up this safety protocol working all around the world, and not in US.
I suppose it is mostly a cultural fact. Watching films or TV series coming from USA; I always wonder how most people there lives in houses with very limited protection against intrusion: glass doors, windows with no external shields, gardens without ralings and gates, etc...
Ain't the USA great? I've been in Mexico for over a month and my house has not been locked the whole time. And I don't need a smart phone to use my CC

You are assuming they actually wanted to pick it up. They probably made a reservation, charged the stolen card. Call back the next day and as for a refund but "put it on a different card" pocket the money. Also would not be surprised if this was an employee theft.

Don't know hopefully my local PD sends the report to Dallas and they investigate. I was able to give them city and the 800 number for national told me the name the reservation was under.

We are ignoring the evident here. Why should we have to set up two party or anything else. How hard would it be for the card reader at in person merchant's to show the teller name on card is formernuke, no other authorized users. Person renting car or persons ID doesn't say formernuke no transaction and police called. Wouldn't stop all the card fraud but would seriously hamper it.

Ain't the USA great? I've been in Mexico for over a month and my house has not been locked the whole time. And I don't need a smart phone to use my CC

And just where abouts do you live (street name and #'s specifically:D)!

I'm in the same boat, we don't normally lock our house except at night and extended vacations... it's a moot point though, Amazon was giving away smart locks that connect to your wifi and you can lock / unlock with fingerprints or smartphones, so now I'm sure we'll lock more often. I'm just glad I don't have to carry keys.

@formernuke, sucks about your card, but at least you caught it.

When was Amazon giving those away, brats didn't tell about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom