How the hell does this happen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I found out this morning that a woman in Dallas Texas ( I live south of Boston) used my credit card to rent a car. 4884.05 dollars on that transaction.

Honestly WTF, how does someone use a stolen card number to do a transaction that requires you to show ID.

And yes the card company and police have been notified.

I called the rental company to ask if they would also call the Dallas police and they just dismissed me.

It happens because you did not enforce two-factors-authentication on your credit card. So just knowing its number, expiry date and the 3-digits number on the back is enough for charging your card. Of course using a stolen ID card or driving license, where required to show it.
When two-factors-authentication is enabled, the transaction is approved only providing a validation number, which is texted to you by VISA or AMEX.
I do not know anyone using a credit card without first enabling two-factors-authentication. My bank considers it mandatory, they will not enable my credit card if you do not first enforce two-factors-authentication on it. Perhaps your bank is not so strict, but still it is your fault not having enforced this fundamental safety measure on your credit card.

I have never heard of that.

Plus your saying it's my fault that someone stole my number, made a physical card and used it.

I have never heard of that.

Plus your saying it's my fault that someone stole my number, made a physical card and used it.
They do not need a fake physical card. In some places you book the rental car online, and you just need to show the driving license when picking it up.
If you ever used your credit card on the Internet, you must assume that its data are now public.
Strange that you did never hear of two-factors-authentication, credit card companies make a lot of advertisement about this safety measure. They also make apps for smartphones, which employ biometric data (fingerprints, face ID, etc.) for providing this "second factor".
These apps usually interface with the "safe" payment protocol(s) of your smartphone: never heard of Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay or the like?
Actually I do not use anymore my credit card plastic thing, I use it only through my smartphone, enabling each payment with my fingerprint, when the app requires me to authorise the payment... It is even contactless on most cash machines, you just touch the machine with the smartphone.
Regarding the fact that it is your fault. Of course the crime was committed by someone else, not by you. But it is exactly the same as leaving your car open in a parking lot, with the key in the dashboard...

Italy must be ahead of the times.

Here to rent a car you must show the card and matching ID when picking it up.
Even if the rental is already pre-paid?
Here often your employer pre-pays for the rental, so of course you cannot show the credit card of the employer (in my case it remains in the safe hands of the director of my department). I must just proof my identity, which must correspond to what declared by the secretary who booked the rental and issued the payment for it.

This was not a company it was a person.

And yes even on the rental companies website the card and matching license must be presented at time of pickup.

The US is just behind the times when it comes to card security
I am quite sure that VISA and AMEX have two-factors-authentication operational also in US. They are both US-based companies, it would make no sense that they set up this safety protocol working all around the world, and not in US.
I suppose it is mostly a cultural fact. Watching films or TV series coming from USA; I always wonder how most people there lives in houses with very limited protection against intrusion: glass doors, windows with no external shields, gardens without ralings and gates, etc...

I am quite sure that VISA and AMEX have two-factors-authentication operational also in US. They are both US-based companies, it would make no sense that they set up this safety protocol working all around the world, and not in US.
I suppose it is mostly a cultural fact. Watching films or TV series coming from USA; I always wonder how most people there lives in houses with very limited protection against intrusion: glass doors, windows with no external shields, gardens without ralings and gates, etc...

I have sharp bushes in front of my windows

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom