How the hell does this happen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was not a company it was a person.

And yes even on the rental companies website the card and matching license must be presented at time of pickup.
Inside job!

I found out this morning that a woman in Dallas Texas ( I live south of Boston) used my credit card to rent a car. 4884.05 dollars on that transaction.

Honestly WTF, how does someone use a stolen card number to do a transaction that requires you to show ID.

And yes the card company and police have been notified.

I called the rental company to ask if they would also call the Dallas police and they just dismissed me.
At least you get the money back.

Pity that you'll also need a new card with a new number as your card has been compromised

Amazing that people will rock up with a cloned card to a high-risk transaction such as car rental where the rental company will pre-authorise a whole load of money, i.e. will definitely contact the bank.

Online transactions have been made tougher for the fraudsters as 3D Secure is mandatory in Europe (and next month in the UK). 3D Secure is where you get redirected to your bank to answer some questions (and the bank reviews your history) and the transaction's credit scored. Believe this is unusual in the USA.

At least you get the money back.

Pity that you'll also need a new card with a new number as your card has been compromised

Yup no reward points till my new card arrives.

I have never heard of two factor authentication for credit card purchases either. I was able to enable, however, an option to text me when a purchase is made. You may not be able to prevent a crime this way, but catch it as it maybe happening…

Somehow, people in S. Africa got a hold of one of my CC numbers and started charging a bunch of flights to it. The CC company notified me and of course I wound up paying for none of it. I still don't know how they got the card number, but it's not your fault and you shouldn't feel bad. These things happen.

It's great that Italy is so far ahead of both Canada and the US in regard to CC security, but that doesn't help us here in N. America now does it? :wink:

I didn't even know 2-factor authorization was a thing for credit cards. I use it to log into assorted bank accounts and that's pretty much it.

I am quite sure that VISA and AMEX have two-factors-authentication operational also in US. They are both US-based companies, it would make no sense that they set up this safety protocol working all around the world, and not in US.
I suppose it is mostly a cultural fact. Watching films or TV series coming from USA; I always wonder how most people there lives in houses with very limited protection against intrusion: glass doors, windows with no external shields, gardens without ralings and gates, etc...
As at least two of us have stated since you made this post... 2-factor authentication is NOT a thing for CCs in the US. Or Canada for that matter. The US was very slow to introduce the 'tap' feature for CCs compared to Canada, IIRC. I was quite surprised by that, frankly, as usually Canada lags.

Based on what you're stating about cards in Italy, my guess is you don't have 'tap' cards. They're convenient as hell; but perhaps 'too' convenient and I can only wonder at what the theft stats must now be b/c of it.

Somehow, people in S. Africa got a hold of one of my CC numbers and started charging a bunch of flights to it. The CC company notified me and of course I wound up paying for none of it. I still don't know how they got the card number, but it's not your fault and you shouldn't feel bad. These things happen.

It's great that Italy is so far ahead of both Canada and the US in regard to CC security, but that doesn't help us here in N. America now does it? :wink:

I didn't even know 2-factor authorization was a thing for credit cards. I use it to log into assorted bank accounts and that's pretty much it.

We do end up paying for it. In your case the airlines in mine the car rental place will raise there rates to compensate for the loss. We all pay for this, which is why I was surprised that national just blew me off like that.

And report filed with FBI, they likely won't do anything but couldn't hurt.

We do end up paying for it. In your case the airlines in mine the car rental place will raise there rates to compensate for the loss. We all pay for this, which is why I was surprised that national just blew me off like that.
I suspect they must factor these sorts of things into the overall picture in order to survive. If it means raising rates based on supply and demand, for example, then so be it. I can still get daily car rentals for around $25 CAD, taxes included, more often than not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom