How soon after pregnancy is it safe to go diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sìan48

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I tried to do a search however it gets mixed up with a load of unrelated stuff so I’m starting a new thread..

Does anyone know how soon after birth you can start diving for the first time? I’m towards the end of pregnancy (have 3 more months) and my mind hasn’t changed on wanting to do scuba and won’t change any time soon but can’t really find much info on when is safe to start up training?

I will be breastfeeding for at least the first 6 - 9 months and not sure if that will make a difference but wondering about the whole overall experience maybe extending when I can start?

If anyone knows or had to take a break due to pregnancy, how soon did you start back up again?

Thanks in advance

Usual disclaimers - I am not your clinician, see your own primary care/OB…

Most pregnancy related physiological changes return to the pre-pregnant state 6-8 weeks post delivery. Assuming a normal pregnancy and delivery with no postpartum complications (cardiomyopathy, eclampsia) I can’t think of a physiological reason not to dive.

OB is not my practice focus; it’s certianly possible I’m not thinking of something, so again ask your doctor.

Years ago I wrote a paper on pregnancy and diving because I always told the answer was no due to the lack or research. There has been some research, most in retrospect, yet I don’t remember seeing anything about diving after childbirth.

I recommend asking this question to,DAN: mail@daneurope.org
DAN Australia had some rather interesting information regarding pregnancy so you may want to send your inquiry to this email address as well: InfoAP@DAN.org

Good luck and post what information you discover.

Not much to add to what @kinoons said aside from being mindful of the fit of your wetsuit. Anecdotally, if the wetsuit top is too tight around the chest it can lead to breast swelling. If there's a significant post-partum size change there you may want to consider that.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks all for the responses, I could see a lot on pregnancy and diving also. But nothing on afterwards. I have seen some people diving throughout pregnancy but will not go past a certain depth, free dive or switch to snorkelling. Most of these were already divers and not new to it so didn’t feel so sure.

I will contact DAN with the links provided (thanks for those) and I honestly don’t think my midwife or OBGYN would be the best people to ask because they couldn’t even get their info on pregnancy correct let along on a matter they have no idea about so think I’ll ask the professionals as advised here.

As for my wetsuit I would have to do a whole refit now anyway as my previous one for sure wouldn’t fit (and was a bit uncomfortable) so now I know about the chest size I will make sure to take extra care with that area.

Hopefully all goes well and I can be diving by the end of this year 🤞🤞

Thanks for all the advice

So this was my response from DAN -

“Thank you for your email. Diving is considered safe for breastfeeding mothers as long as there is no active infection or inflammation of the breast.

Furthermore, nitrogen does not accumulate in breast milk, so there is no risk of the baby absorbing dissolved nitrogen through breastfeeding. But diving can be dehydrating and may thus interfere with milk production, so appropriate hydration is essential.

Another consideration is to avoid buoyancy compensators with constrictive chest straps, which can put undue pressure on your breasts. This will help prevent any engorgement, pain, or leaking.”

I had to ask again for information on how long after delivery I’d have to wait and was told I had gone through (via their website) to the US team but since I’m in England would need the one for here as the policies are different for each country. She did say however

“The recommendations regarding a return to diving after childbirth vary based on the type of delivery and should always be discussed with your doctor. Diving should only be considered when your physician clears you to participate in physical activity that includes contact sports.”

And

“Then you would need to obtain a fitness-to-dive exam from a doctor versed in dive medicine.”

So I will ultimately have to go through the fitness to dive form and see a relevant dr so I don’t think I will bother contacting the Europe DAN if I will need to see a dive dr anyway..

Just wanted to update on what my responses were incase anyone else wanted/needed the same advice I did.

When the time comes to do the actual cert after delivery I will post again to say what process I had to go through and how long i had to wait etc. in hopes it would help others in my position.

This is a very good question. Personally I would suggest no less than 5 months after the news……anything less than 4 months from conception is very dangerous, but I am only basing this on my negative experience of getting punched in the face by my wife when I told her I wanted to go diving when she was at 16 weeks……

..I can’t comment on how long the mother should wait…

I have a picture of a friend of mine somewhere. On a dive boat, after a 300+' dive with a baby's head shoved in her drysuit zipper breastfeeding.
She tried to get DUI to use it for promotions, but they didn't think it would hit their target audience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom