How should I mount my pony to my main tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please,,,sling it. PM me for all the advantages....... :)

I thought about slinging the bottle, but I think it would be in my way a little, Since most of my diving is recreational diving done in the springs, no deeper then 50' or so, I fear that if I do sling the bottle and find it kinda in my way, I will discontinue use of the bottle just for comfort reasons.

I use the ultimate pony bracket and it is super easy to mount. It mounts to the pony with a bracket and hose clamps then to the primary tank with a cam band. It can be adjusted for any size tank.

dhampton82:
I thought about slinging the bottle, but I think it would be in my way a little, Since most of my diving is recreational diving done in the springs, no deeper then 50' or so, I fear that if I do sling the bottle and find it kinda in my way, I will discontinue use of the bottle just for comfort reasons.

If it is rigged correctly, it will float at the side and never be in your way. You need to practice diving with it though.

dhampton82:
I plan on buying a 19cf pony in the near future for a redundant air supply, I know I want it to be mounted on my tank, but I have found about 10 different brackets to mount it with.

I always and probably for the next few years will be using rental al80's so it cant be anything permanent on the main tank.

What kind of mount does everyone else on here use? And what is it that you like about the mount you use? So far I was thinking about the "X-mount" anyone use thins?

Don't ! Rig it like a tec diver. You will have access to the valve and with any luck you will buy an spg for it as as well.

Comfort.....a 30 or 40 cf bottle is no problem. Many of my friends that just dive to 40 ft use this.Within two dives you will not not notice the tank at all. Most of all, it's comforting to know where the tank is.

Ron

SLING it....a 19cf is plenty of bottle for a recreational diver! The bottle will not be in your way,,,believe me....I use a 19cf on some recreational dives and no problem--'piece of cake'.....but I also sling 50's and 80's when doing trimix runs so I do have a bit of practice----BUT-- it is really easy and much better in my oppion than mounting to your back gas tank....sling it

Meister481:
I use the quick draw system, no perm mount to the tank, can be removed quicker than a slung bottle. It's expensive, but worth the piece of mind and the convenience.
I don't go below 60' without my pony.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=QuickDrawBracket

If you are going to tank mount your pony this is the way to go. A total overkill precision system (in fits my engineering sense) that cost too much, but works flawlessly.

That said, I plan on trying to rig a sling harness in the future to see how how like it.

My vote is for the sling. You never know it is there. I do dive with 5 Lbs, 2 in the side with the sling and 3 in the side without.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom