How old is your oldest tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akscubainst:
Aluminum tanks are designed to go through 100,000 fills and 10,000 Hydro cycles. 150 fills and your only at .15% not even 1% of the original life expectancy. Are you really doing 600 dives per year?

Dave

As a Divemaster/guide I dive 250 times a year, but my tanks easily make 600 rental dives per year; lotta' banging around.

Oldest steel: 1967 Dacor 72
Oldest aluminum: USD double 50's from 1976, passed hydro and vis eddy tests in August.
All used.
2 Dacor Luxfer 63's I bought new in 1985. Might retire them though. Have 7 of 14 tanks due for hydro in 2006

I've got a small steel tank about 9 cubic feet dated 3-53 made by Arpin that was originally called a Snork-Air. It was a primitve spare air type tank with a regulator built into the tank valve. I replaced the valve with a US diver I Valve and now use it as an argon bottle.

jamiep3:
Not sure of the exact date, early 60's I believe with a 1/2" J valve.

Is the date not clearly marked? Sometimes they are hard to see on steel tanks.

james croft:
I replaced the valve with a US diver I Valve and now use it as an argon bottle.

The valve I've seen a few people refer ti as an I valve is actually a K valve. There is no I valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom