How old is your oldest tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel f aleman:
I'm picky about tanks - at any given time I have 12 AL 80s, 6 steel 100s, and a variety of decos and ponies; I sell 1/3 of my tanks, on rotation, every third year (to dive shops, mainly) and buy new ones. I can get 80 cents on the dollar for a three year-old tank. I also replace the valves on every tank, every year.

I hate to say it, but that seems rather obsessive. Did you have a bad experience with a tank, a valve, or both?

e.a.e.

My oldest tank is a steel 72 mfg in 1973. This was give to me by an uncle who used it twice in the 70's. Got a hydro done on it a couple months ago it passed with no problems. I was initally worried about corrosion since it sat in a basement for many years unused.

My oldest tanks are mid 1950's. My newest are mid 1970's. Most have original valves, mostly J's.

I currently have 22 tanks (not counting deco bottles) the oldest is made in 1965, but more telling I think, the newest was made in 1979. Properly maintained, a steel tank will last a lot longer than most divers. And, once the initial shine wears off the galvanized finish, they never look any older.

Nostromo:
I hate to say it, but that seems rather obsessive. Did you have a bad experience with a tank, a valve, or both?

e.a.e.

Each of my 12 AL80 tanks will have made about 150 dives (150 fills) over three years, (I'm a divemaster). They're so cheap realtively, a new AL 80K cost me 100 dollars and I can sell them for $75 each to a local shop; the steel 100s cost $250 new and I can sell those for $200. The reality is that I can always dive with new tanks for only a $300 investment each year. I aslo buy all new life-support equipment each year. Piece of mind...

Twice as old as I am? That would be a 118 year old tank.

My oldest is a steel 72 with the first hydro in 68.

Steel 1954 coyne just hydro'd no tumble needed 51yrs and counting

Two AL 80's J valves one in 72 and the other in 75 and the new tank is a AL 80 K valve 1981.

daniel f aleman:
Each of my 12 AL80 tanks will have made about 150 dives (150 fills) over three years, (I'm a divemaster). They're so cheap realtively, a new AL 80K cost me 100 dollars and I can sell them for $75 each to a local shop; the steel 100s cost $250 new and I can sell those for $200. The reality is that I can always dive with new tanks for only a $300 investment each year. I aslo buy all new life-support equipment each year. Piece of mind...

Aluminum tanks are designed to go through 100,000 fills and 10,000 Hydro cycles. 150 fills and your only at .15% not even 1% of the original life expectancy. Are you really doing 600 dives per year?

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom