How old is your oldest tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nostromo

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious as to what the oldest tank in actual service is out there. I've got a steel tank with an original hydro date of 1962, and subsequent hydros in '79, '93, and '05. Anybody else using a tank twice as old as they are?

e.a.e.

Nostromo:
Anybody else using a tank twice as old as they are?

Heh, heh. If I were, it would have been manufactured in (gulp) 1889! I don't think so.

Nostromo:
Just curious as to what the oldest tank in actual service is out there. I've got a steel tank with an original hydro date of 1962, and subsequent hydros in '79, '93, and '05. Anybody else using a tank twice as old as they are?

e.a.e.
I have a steel 72 manufactured in 1956, the same year I was born. I think I was manufactured/conceived in '55 though.
Bill

Two Steel 72 date of manuf. 1972 and they still work. I only use air in it.

T

Of my 75 scuba tanks a 72 from 12/61 is oldest. I got rid of 17 72's last year so the're may have been something older in there. Though one of my cascade bottles is from 1957.

Dave

One of my steel tanks was manufactured in 58, the other 62. The valves were replaced at some point. Both appear to be in great shape. I doubt I will buy another Aluminum, the steels look better, definately last longer. Well worth the additional cost. Tom

drbill:
Heh, heh. If I were, it would have been manufactured in (gulp) 1889! I don't think so.

I've looked at the hydro dates on nitrogen and welding tanks that come into work. The earliest original hydro that I've come across was one from 1909. I've seen quite a few from pre WW1. FWIW.

I'm picky about tanks - at any given time I have 12 AL 80s, 6 steel 100s, and a variety of decos and ponies; I sell 1/3 of my tanks, on rotation, every third year (to dive shops, mainly) and buy new ones. I can get 80 cents on the dollar for a three year-old tank. I also replace the valves on every tank, every year.

The first tank I purchased new in 1986 the only change I made was removing the J valve and replacing it with a K valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom