How old is too old ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My last two Liveaboard buddies were 68 years old, also had a lady well into her 70s on the same trip...as everyone else has said if you are healthy (get a dive medical) go for it.

As long as you are healthy then why not.
Met a diver(70yrs old) few months ago.

It's not about age, it's about health, fitness, and attitude. I just turned 74. I have two more dive trips planned this year, and five planned next year. I'll be leading the trips and teaching on most of them.

It's not about age, it's about health, fitness, and attitude.
I could not have said it better. You make the choice. We cannot make it for you.

We had a lady in our club who got certified at 85.Something she always wanted to do and she did it.She could handle all her gear and beach dive in chilly Norcal waters too.That told me there is no age limit really.

If you can pass the medical, you're not too old to give it a try. I've dived with several very competent divers in their 70's, and know of one local person who is 86 and still shore dives every week.

All of you sure have enlightened me and gave me new hopes.I was feeling sorta down because of my age and with this vertigo problem going on right now,that sure didn't help my thoughts.I know I'll have to lick that problem before I will even go for a little refresher and check out course.I have been snorkling in the pond that we have in the field just trying to get my stamina and cardio working well.I just have to drive on and be faithful about a workout.I haven't even swam for many years so I can't swim long or far anymore without getting winded.A few weeks ago I found out it was almost impossible for me to get into a Scuba Pro 5 mm wet suit with back zip without help.I tried on two suits and by that time,I was done in.So I have a lot of work ahead of me.Wish me luck.

Im 72 been diving since 10 years old. Navy dv 15 years. I walk 2 miles every day. Down in key west now from pensacola commercial diving for lobster. 3 baskets like this. Like the song goes, never slow down you never grow old. Have a great day. I never had time to learn grammer.
3bc9174b5d477a530f4366fc6339b7f5.jpg

I'm 66. I can still hump my crushed neoprene dry suit and twin steel HP 100's.

Nae guts, nae glorie . . .

Safe dives . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !

the K

I'm turning 69 this November. In late February to early March I will be doing 4-6 dives a day at CoCo View. I regularly dive Bonaire 2 weeks at a time. Next bucket list trip is going to be whale sharks at Glovers and then 2 weeks at Fakarave and Rangiora.

When I can not handle the equipment any more I will revert to snorkeling. When I can no longer snorkel I will make one more descent on scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom